What type of mirror do you use?

GoldenMotor.com

Yume

Jun 13, 2015
AR, USA
So it's pretty much mandatory for anyone wanting to ride on public roads to have some soort of mirror so that they can keep an eye on trafic. I know that a lot of people use handlebar mountedd model, but I'm concerned that the engine vibration may be an issue for the clarity of the reflection.

I guess I'm mostly currious how you guys that ride on the public roads a lot manage this. Is it a non-issue?

I've thought about loading my handlebars with BBs but I'd rather not add that extra weight.

Alternatively I've see mirrors that a lot of the tourers use. It mounts to the side of your helment or riding glasse. I know this it might sound dumb, but I'm thinking that at the speed that motorbikes travel the wind resistance may mess with the sighting adjustments. Since I'll be wearing some protective goggles anyways, I thought I might give this a go since they are only 10 bucks.

Do you use a mirror and is the vibration an issue for you? If so, how do you deal with that?

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
so far I have just been playing swivel neck, and i'm getting a little tired of it.
I have had handlebar mirrors fall off of pedal bikes on me before so if you go with a mounted one make sure the mount is as secure as possible.

a sprung for will somewhat dampen the vibrations to the handlebars, and hence the mirror.
I was looking at one of those helmet mount ones at a store the other day, looks like a great idea (a little like those trick sunglasses that I remember from when I was a kid, this may or may not have just ousted me as old) I almost bought it but they wanted like thirty bucks for it. if you are seeing one of those for ten I would at least try it.
make sure it will work with your helmet though, the one I was looking at was meant for a bicycle helmet with holes in it and probably wouldnt mount properly on many other kinds of helmets.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I used a mirror for many years. But like you said the vibration at times was hard for me to really see what was going on behind me.

So I would glance at the mirror, then I would look behind me to make sure what I saw in my mirror was correct.

After a while, I started thinking if I am always looking behind me, whats the point of the mirror? It also seemed to me that if I did see danger in my mirror by then it would be too late to react anyways.

For years now I don't ride with a mirror, I prefer to look over my shoulders or even stand up and swivel around and get a good look whats going on behind me.

Never did have a mirror that could stand up to my abuse anyways. Did have a couple motorcycle mirrors at one time but even they did not last long. The only ones that kinda lasted is the ones I mounted on my cruiser, but If put them on my MTB I would usually just end up breaking them.

The only type of mirror I never tried was the ones that mount to your helmet.

Anyways for me, no mirrors I just got sick of messing with them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've had very good luck with motorcycle mirrors. They are on long chrome mounts and never had a problem with vibration. The reflected image is clear and stationary. I make my own handlebar mounts using 7/8" split shaft collars with a nut of the appropriate size welded to it. The most common size is 10mm. They're fully adjustable and they stay tight.

I wouldn't ride without a left side mirror. I don't use one on the right side but that left one is a vital part of riding for me. I've yet to find a pedal bike mirror that worked. They either fall off because the plastic mount breaks or the quality of the mirror is so bad that you can't see much through it. They aren't designed or made to take the abuse a motorized bicycle can give them. But that's just an opinion based on my experience.

Tom

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
For the mirror, I use the EMGO 20-42410. The mirror is made so you can use it on both left or right sides. It has a 10mm stem and threads

For the mirror mount I use the BikeMaster 60-0408. This very similar to what 2door described but it is already done for you. The part number listed is also for the 10mm threads.

You can google the part numbers I have listed to find any number of vendors for each. I have bought lots of mirrors and this is the best set up I have found and I am converting all my bikes to the same setup.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
For the mirror, I use the EMGO 20-42410. The mirror is made so you can use it on both left or right sides.
Mike

After seeing the big mirror on your bike...I opted to put a larger and better constructed mirror on mine. Seems kinda similar to the one I saw on your bike? Works 10X better then the little bicycle mirror I was using. Nice to be able to easily see what is coming up from behind. http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=182

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
I've had very good luck with motorcycle mirrors. They are on long chrome mounts and never had a problem with vibration. The reflected image is clear and stationary. I make my own handlebar mounts using 7/8" split shaft collars with a nut of the appropriate size welded to it. The most common size is 10mm. They're fully adjustable and they stay tight.

I wouldn't ride without a left side mirror. I don't use one on the right side but that left one is a vital part of riding for me. I've yet to find a pedal bike mirror that worked. They either fall off because the plastic mount breaks or the quality of the mirror is so bad that you can't see much through it. They aren't designed or made to take the abuse a motorized bicycle can give them. But that's just an opinion based on my experience.

Tom
A split shaft collar! The VERY answer my my question! Thanks Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I made my own mirrors using a thin aluminum sheet cut into a circle, and some 1/4" aluminum rod, alumi-welded that together, threaded a hole in it that screwed into the top of my clutch lever mounting hole.

For the mirror I used a stick-on 2" convex mirror (2 in a pack from pep boys for a coupla bucks.)

Mostly I made them to be legal in CA. I could see cars that were close enough to hit me, so it actually worked.

Got pulled over by the same newport beach cop who always stopped me just talk, and he told me my mirror was too small.

I said, " saw you come up behind me, didn't I?"

He replied, "well, I guess it's big enough then..."