Turnigy 5.0

GoldenMotor.com

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
I don't know what your experience is with Ebikes or R/C stuff is, but I really would not recommend these batteries to a new user for ebikes.
Yeah. I jumped on these based on knowing the difference between parallel and series, and based upon price,
my potential usage parameters, and the math on the 14.x volts to get up to 20Ah.

Here's where I lapsed: I was hoping to be "talked through" the application to the 48v, 1000W Pie application.
But I didn't know the capacity of the controller, how to get the balance on track, and a myriad of other things.

I don't expect to learn and understand what you guys know over night. But, the fact is, I'm now burned out on
the process, the cost, and lack of solid resources. That is, there are great resources out there. And the Forum
(you all) are limitless in your knowledge and experience.

So, when you suggest an easier road for a Lummox like me, I'd be a fool not to go that way. Even if it IS more money.
Probably less in the long run if I factor in rebuilding my burned down house.

I was able to get HobbyKings to agree to refund my $204 for the batteries...Now, I'm on another quest to still electrify.
Just in a more pedestrian way. Until, that is, I get sick of the cost and lack of credible information, battery scammers, etc.

Thanks to all. See you in my dreams.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Aw we lost a lipo convert? I read the previous post and was about to lay out some guidelines for safe lipo living. You might reconsider and use the 6s 10ah. It only takes 2 for a viable 48v system. I love mine, they fit nicely on the down tube and cost less than $200. These can be charged on an inexpensive charger and a charge plate. LC has linked a good one. You can also add cells later for performance or duration.

My dislike for bottle/cased packs is the 18650 cell and the difficulty of repair for the normal end user. At least buy one from a good USA vendor like on the forum here so you have some recourse. Not happening(at least easily) direct from China.

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=621166&postcount=41

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For those of us just on the edge of the ebike cliff looking down at the murky pool of electrons, it is a daunting thing to just take a leap and hope for the best. With gas engines it seems simple enough to make them run... fuel, spark and air are all that are required in the right combination. All this business of battery types, watts and amps, one kind of charger verses another is confusing to the uninitiated. People like me who don't mind house wiring or simple and straight forward household fix its are not prepared for the endless sphere of spinning electrons on a bicycle. The simple thing is to buy a kit or something already put together. Sign the check and ride. But for those of us who who either like to get our hands dirty or are economically challenged, we want to do it ourselves and on the cheap, if possible. For myself, I don't mind the precautions for keeping things safe. I'm one of those riders who always wears a helmet. And I have no desire to compete with cagers for a share of the highway or set speed records on a bicycle. Electric bikes are the coming thing and their being both more stealthy and more acceptable to law enforcement is a big enticement.

For me there are realistically two choices. One is lead acid bricks and the other is lipo. Both are in my price range. Obviously, weight is a factor, but perhaps less so for me than for a two wheeler. My ride will have three wheels, be heavy anyway and will also be in electric use just part of the time since the front wheel is electric and behind the seat is a gas engine. Electric is for bike trails and for when I need or want to be silent running. I need to be able to make a 12 mile run on mostly level ground before recharging. Pedal assist is occasional, but not much and pedaling a heavy rig with both bear and dog aboard is not really an option.

And so I ask myself if in my case lead acid is good enough. My batteries are several years old even if they haven't been used much and maybe need replacing anyway. Are some lead acid batteries better than others... last longer between charges or have a longer life span? Or are they really relics of the past and need to be left in the past? I don't know. The low cost and light weight of these lipos is very attractive. Talk about fires and explosions on the other hand is a big, HOWEVER.

And so the old bear wears himself out arm wrestling himself over lead acid or lipos. Sigh...
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's the conundrum SB, batteries. The rest of the ebike is simple, basically plug and play.
An interesting side bar on weight involves my golf cart. It used 6) 6v batteries to achieve 36v. I didn't weigh them but they must have been in the 80+lb range as I could barely pick one up. That means nearly 500lbs of batteries! I replaced them with 3)12v deep cycle marine batteries which weigh about 60lbs ea. The 340lb weight loss has made such a difference in the carts performance from a weight loss stand point. Its the old argument. Do the heavier batteries expend themselves hauling their weight around? Surely to some extent, how much I don't know.

I have 3) less than a year old 10ah SLAs you are welcome to if I can ship them in a large Priority flat rate box. Maybe this will help your decision. They will weigh 21lbs compared to 5.75 for comparable lipos. I prefer the lighter weight and am familiar with the chemistry. The SLAs are the most forgiving. If the weight doesnt bother you I will be more than happy to send them. If they don't have enough Ah then maybe try 12ah, but hey they are a bit heavier. Here goes the weight vs power thing.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
I've built multiple motorcycles. For riding and sometimes show.....(but "show" isn't really me).
I have built a few cars. Most recently, a couple of trucks.

With the trucks, in particular, I have spent a great deal of time on a particular forum.
Really wonderful people there. I didn't think that "model" was typical of today's grab and get society.

After building a gas bike, I've only been here (on the MB Forum) for a very short time.

As it is with the truck forum, this Forum and you folks are a prize. People offering help and items to each
other to help their builds, information sharing and conversations without heckling....I have a new home.

Thanks to all for just being who you are.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
magwa
Nice gas bike and I really really like that Chevy. sicktor!

I know I sound a bit like a dummy sometimes, start a thread on batteries then tell other not to use them.

I have been messing with, starting about 1988, R/C cars/trucks(raced locally), planes , boats, helis, and gliders and park fliers... and well you get the point.

I don't mean to sound like some kind of elitist jerk or anything.
H*ll I have done some stupid things.

The problem I have with these and new users is that it sounds all nice, on the cheap.

BUT

It requires more hands on than most want to deal with.
There is no set and forget that is safe with these LiPo yet.
You have to monitor the voltage and each cells voltage level to be totally safe, in my book.

If you are aware of the risks its no different than gasoline.

Really would not recommend these 5.0 to anyone now, after the 10.0 came out these 5.0 are cheap but more of a pain with the connectors.

The 10.0 is just one positive to negative for 50v so much easier. 2- 6 cell batteries.

Sometime I regret starting this 5.0, I don't want to read about someone that burned down their place because they read how neat LiPo was over here.

They are a good source for power they just require more attention than pretty much any other type of battery chemistry.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Yeah. More trouble or more fun depending on how much you like to play with chargers and adapters and boards and numbers. Your going to need more space for all the toys you need for these puppies.