eBike news and items of interest

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I can understand this sentiment

Preliminary results from electric vehicle owners indicate that EV owner satisfaction blows that of conventional vehicles out of the water. It is the secret weapon of electric vehicles: drivers that switch to EVs fall in love with their cars, Or bikes, in a way that internal combustion engine vehicles cannot match. PlugInsights Research, a division of Recargo, presented data at this week’s EDTA convention that forcefully supports this notion (via Inside EVs).

Out of those 900 early adopters of EVs, a survey found 96.9% said they would buy another electric vehicle, either a pure electric or a plug-in hybrid. Only 1.9% would go back to an ICE.

http://www.torquenews.com/2250/owner-data-once-you-go-electric-you-never-go-back
The Smog Emission NAZI's of California have us by the short and curly's if you drive an older car! I can't imagine anybody in California wanting to have a daily commuter car with an ICE in it......if they had a competitively priced option. Not 1 person.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Felt Expands 2015 Electric Offerings

June 2, 2014

Felt Bicycles formally announce an expanding 2015 electric bike line, Felt Electric. The Felt Electric bike line launch for the US includes three mountain bike models and one lifestyle model. The new addition to the already existing Felt European electric bike line is the Lebowsk-e and Dual-e.

The Lebowsk-e fat tire bike will be available in three sizes – small, medium and large. The Dual-e is a full-suspension 29-inched wheel mountain bike. The Dual-e is offered in small, medium, large, and extra large........

http://www.electricbikeaction.com/felt-expands-2015-electric-offerings/

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's only a matter of time, and I don't think it will be much longer. A lot of company's are working on better battery's.

"You see there are many research groups as well as companies working to improve the performance of the battery. The successful company is going to be the one which produce high performance batteries at low price. "

http://www.eeherald.com/section/news/onws201406080001.html

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Here is more on Harley-Davidson:
http://www.gizmag.com/harley-davidson-project-livewire-electric-motorbike/32613/
If they are getting into the scene, you know that they have done ALOT of market research and feel the risk is worth it. And that is a huge risk considering that they have nearly gone out of business twice already.

The trend is going to electric weather us petrolheads want to admit it or not.

Considering that the look and sound of the iconic V-Twin has alot to do with their success and this electric motorcycle sounds like a "jet aircraft" they are really putting their reputation on the table with this bike. No "dyed-in-the-wool" hardcore biker or weekend warrior will want to ride something that sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
http://project.harley-davidson.com/#
Just envision Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week.... the streets lined with these electric motorcycles. The deafning sound of "whirrrr....hisssss.....shooooo" all around you.

I am still holding out for the cotton battery technology to hit the market. If what is said about those batteries is true, that will be a huge game changer in all electric powered cordless devices.

Last edited:

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Here is more on Harley-Davidson:
http://www.gizmag.com/harley-davidson-project-livewire-electric-motorbike/32613/
If they are getting into the scene, you know that they have done ALOT of market research and feel the risk is worth it. And that is a huge risk considering that they have nearly gone out of business twice already.

The trend is going to electric weather us petrolheads want to admit it or not.

Considering that the look and sound of the iconic V-Twin has alot to do with their success and this electric motorcycle sounds like a "jet aircraft" they are really putting their reputation on the table with this bike. No "dyed-in-the-wool" hardcore biker or weekend warrior will want to ride something that sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
http://project.harley-davidson.com/#
Just envision Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week.... the streets lined with these electric motorcycles. The deafning sound of "whirrrr....hisssss.....shooooo" all around you.

I am still holding out for the cotton battery technology to hit the market. If what is said about those batteries is true, that will be a huge game changer in all electric powered cordless devices.
They need to be able to do awesome burnouts at bike week too :)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
An electric motorcycle can do burnouts that will shame nearly all ICE powered motorcycles.
I have never understood the fascination with "burnout pits" at rallies anyways.
Put the front wheel against a wall.
Rev the snot out of your engine.
Dump the clutch placing undue strain against the clutch, transmission, drive belt or chain.
Of course the rear wheel will spin!
Shift through the gears and hold it in high gear until the rear tire explodes.

Ummmm.... What other result did you expect from doing that?

Alot of them don't have cooling fans for the engine and serious piston and cylinder damage occurs regularly.

Your reward, a blown rear tire and a damaged engine.

Just my observations of course...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm thinking if Harley comes out with an electric bike that's a huge huge deal. Yamaha has already said they're coming out with one in about a year. I wonder if they know something, like battery technology is fixing to take a big step forward.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the new Harley Davidson Electric Bike is going to bring big time huge interest in electric bikes. everywhere you look their is news about it, the latest is in the new avengers movie the black widow (Scarlett Johansson) will be riding the new electric Harley. i venture to say the advancement in e-bikes and batteries in the next few years will blow us away!

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Breaking news! Production of Harley Davidson's electric bike delayed while engineers continue retrofit work to stop it from leaking oil!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I watched a video of a bunch of bikers talking about the new eHarley, and almost everything they were saying was wrong.

Stuff like, without the potato potato sound it can't be a real Harley. If that's really true then Harley is already dead.

The video claimed the screaking sound it makes was engineered in. I think that's bs. All the mid drive eMotorcycles sound about the same.

The bikers were also saying silence is more dangerous than loud exhaust. I've always had loud exhausts since I tied the first balloon to the spokes of my bicycle, but I've never seen any evidence it made my bike safer. Now when I ride my Stealth I feel even safer because of the fact it's so quiet that nothing can sneak up on me.

It won't be long till only old nostalgic farts will want to own an ice bike (I wasn't thinking about Tom I swear).

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Harley-Davidson's unveiling of prototype electric motorcycle highlights burgeoning industry

"We had our biggest single day of Internet traffic in the history of the company the day Harley made its announcement," said Scot Harden, vice president of global marketing for Zero Motorcycles, which began in a Santa Cruz, California, garage in 2006 and now is the top seller of full-size, high-powered electric bikes. "It just validates what we've been saying and how it's going to play out in the years ahead."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harley-helps-put-electric-motorcycles-170205773.html

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Harley-Davidson's unveiling of prototype electric motorcycle highlights burgeoning industry

"We had our biggest single day of Internet traffic in the history of the company the day Harley made its announcement," said Scot Harden, vice president of global marketing for Zero Motorcycles, which began in a Santa Cruz, California, garage in 2006 and now is the top seller of full-size, high-powered electric bikes. "It just validates what we've been saying and how it's going to play out in the years ahead."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harley-helps-put-electric-motorcycles-170205773.html
Reading Harley's comment in this article, about it taking 50 to 100 years for electric's to take over, I think is kind of revealing. I'm sure they're feeling very insecure about how well they're going to do in the electric motorcycle market. They wish it would take 50 to 100 years, but if they really believe that, you better sell your Harley stock, and kiss their donkey goodbye.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Didn't Ford have their biggest single day of internet traffic when they announced the end of the rear drive Mustang during the 1990s? That may have been before e-mail.