Timing?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Is there a way to manually adjust the timing on a China Girl, like at the magneto? I've been made aware that the timing on these things is waaay to far advanced, and cannot yet justify a $80 jaguar CDI, I know because my wife told me, so it's a clear choice.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
First things first is you need to make sure your timing is off before trying to "adjust" anything, but these aren't exactly adjustable.

There are some who have used a "rocket key" installed backward to retard the timing by 10 degrees or filed down a key enough to let the mag rotor move a few degrees, but filing on the key will only get you maybe a couple degrees. Some have filed out the keyway on the rotor it's self which will allow a little more adjustment, but then there's the issue that the mag rotor can slip out of time.
Another issue is that not all mag rotors are created equally, so if you have a few of them you might find one with the keyway cut in a better spot, and the same thing with the cranks, some of them have the key slot in a better position than others.

One thing I must emphasize before jumping in and doing anything is that you must first know where the timing is on the engine, and where you want it to be. If the engine is running good already it's probably best not to mess with it unless you know for sure the timing is off and that it can be improved.

I might catch a little grief for this one but who cares... You can buy this CDI and see if you get improvement... http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/high-performance-cdi-super-charge_4117_prd1.html this one is a knock off to the Rocket CDI, but for $19 it'll let you know if backing off the timing will make an improvement without spending the $80 on a JAg CDI that'll slow down your engine... Then if the aftermarket CDI does show improvement you can get an HD lightning cdi later on when you can afford it better.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Thanks Dave, you rock, as does the rest of the membership. Other than carb adjustmemts, the bike does run good, I was just curious. This little motor is a lot of fun!