58s Schwinn Wasp Build (My Dad's old bike)

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Well the Huffy is stripped down to the frame and the parts are on my dad's old bike. She really looks good and I also took her for a ride after sitting for at least 20 years.

FROM THIS

TO THIS

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think penetrating oil would work well. Might take some time and let it sit then reapply.

Your gonna think I am nutz but on stout, old world metal, I use bacon grease as a deruster and lube. It really seems to get in deep and restores amazingly well.

After you get it free and moving.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I think penetrating oil would work well. Might take some time and let it sit then reapply.

Your gonna think I am nutz but on stout, old world metal, I use bacon grease as a deruster and lube. It really seems to get in deep and restores amazingly well.

After you get it free and moving.
Really, bacon grease... laff

What about Sno Bowl toilet cleaner, I have heard it gets rid of rust? Though I don't know what it will do to paint.

What brand of penetrating oil have you had the best luck with?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No kidding, I want to beat the dawg snot out of whoever started the toilet bowl cleaner rumor! I was a Merchant Seaman for 16 yrs and had a Capt. order me to use it as a rust buster. Long story but I got logged for it, lol.

Don't use it. Does nothing and makes smoke with some chemicals/paints. I don't think they are in any way safe and part of why the fight I got logged for started, lol.

My personal all around favorite penetrating oil is "3-in-1" "Marvel" is also awesome but am sure folks will join in and offer other thoughts.

Any good, name brand penetrating oil should do what you want and get it functional. Might take a day or 2. But no rush, your making functional art!

Just how I use it and do some thing like this, put some in/on so that it drips in and on. Let it sit for a good while. Then try with no great force to "wiggle" it. Then add some more and again, gently wiggle it.

Not advice, just what I do.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I'm wondering if I should modify my rear fender some since I am running a 24" wheel in the back? What do some of you think about it? I will be remounting the front fender as soon as I can. To do this I will mount it to the forks so it moves with the forks as they move.

Attachments

Last edited:

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
thats not rust! thats patina!

leave your fenders and rack! please! that bike was beautiful before you added the springer and the odd wheels!

i reccomend getting a bike-bug/ solex style all in one friction drive. it save alot of hassle of making your own wasp bike. ive gone the diy rout and i cant get over how well made the purpose built friction drives work out

usually a centrifugal clutch so no need for the motor to move around.
and the new solex i have seen have a built in headlight

also i approve of your correct lingo' i.e. wasp bike
i was beginning to think it wasnt gonna catch on!

either way great build!

cheers!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
thats not rust! thats patina!

leave your fenders and rack! please! that bike was beautiful before you added the springer and the odd wheels!

i reccomend getting a bike-bug/ solex style all in one friction drive. it save alot of hassle of making your own wasp bike. ive gone the diy rout and i cant get over how well made the purpose built friction drives work out

usually a centrifugal clutch so no need for the motor to move around.
and the new solex i have seen have a built in headlight

also i approve of your correct lingo' i.e. wasp bike
i was beginning to think it wasnt gonna catch on!

either way great build!

cheers!
The fenders are staying, just have to remount the front one and the rack is also staying. But to tell you the truth I don't want a friction drive and the springer was used to accommodate the drum brake hub front wheel.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
wasp bike = small cc 2-stroke friction drive

sorry for the confusion in the last post i made, i thought u were making a wasp bike

.cs.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanks...

Not sure what to do about my kickstand problem though as I can't get it to move.

It would be nice to keep it and have a choice of the center stand or the kickstand.
Nice lookin build I have the same Wasp in Black and white nonmotorized.You can remove the leg of the kickstand. Then just leave the housing on the frame while using the double kickstand.If you can put 24X3 tires on therims it might take up alot of the gap between the fender and tire.Thats a pretty beefy looking engine ya got there!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Liquid wrench or the like still may take some time in those type of enclosed kickstand parts. I was amazed when otherwise stand would go down and almost up all but pedal would hit some times, a few days later like new!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I also used parts from another snow blower to make the rest of the engine mounting brackets. I will mount it to the bike using two muffler clamps and angle iron going between with the bracket welded to the angle iron.