need advice 2 china girl won't start

GoldenMotor.com

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
The bike I built for my son with the china girl engine had the petcock go bad and dump all the fuel out through the carb in the middle of the night.I replaced the petcock then with it set to open position fuel still came out the filter.I took the carb apart to check the float it appeared the tickler was stuck down a little and interfered with the float.I got that issue sorted put it all back together and it still wouldn't start.I had spark at the plug so I kept trying to start it but it was already so flooded fuel was coming out the exhaust.I changed the spark plug because the original was a bit wet.It still will not start.I am suspicious the engine is full of fuel from sumping when the petcock failed.I'm looking for any advice at this point........

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
So how do I drain the crankcase.I see no visible plug.Do I have to remove the engine and hold it upside down to drain the fuel.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Pull the plug, flip the bike over like you are working on it, and pedal with the clutch released to turn it over and clear the engine.
BE SURE THE PLUG IS WELL OUT OF THE WAY and/or REMOVED TO PREVENT A FIRE!
If you pedal it around, it will spray you with fuel. NOT GOOD.
Simple to fix, just dry it out.
Mine does this regularly since my petcock is worn out (MILES) and I have to pull the fuel line and plug it with a drill bit every night or it fills up. I forget and it's locked solid with fuel in the AM.

Last edited:

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
Hey thanks for the help.What is the best way to dry it out once I drain the fuel.I'm home now not at the shop so a little limited on tools,etc. here..

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just pedal till it's clear and it should start right back up fairly easily.
No tools needed except plug wrench.

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
I have all the basics but no compressor here.I figured you might suggest putting some air to it to dry it out.Thanks again

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
once most of the liquid is out, it usually will start right up, but run a bit weakly till it dries itself inside

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
I just pulled the plug,turned the bike upside down and peddled it to drain the crankcase.Just a very little mist of fuel came out,not much at all.I should add that it still didn't start after I tried this.She's being difficult with me.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
If the plug's dry, you're NOT getting fuel. Recheck petcock, float, and make sure your jet's clear. Also make sure yer choke's off.

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
ok just rechecked everything when I pull the plug on the float bowl it's full of fuel.The plug get's just a faint amount of moisture on it.Still have hot spark.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
might be someth9ng clogging main jet - a lot of turning without starting should get the plug really wet