3 Questions - Possible Problems?

GoldenMotor.com

Civilization

Aug 2, 2009
Colorado
I have 3 problems:

1. When my bike is in motion it "jerks" and "sputters" about every 2 - 5 seconds. What normally causes this?

2. A very small amount of oil is coming out from the base of the spark plug area while riding. Its very small but noticeable. Is there a problem or should I just clean it regularly?

3. My corroborator wouldn't fit with the "cap" on it (it was hitting the frame and wouldn't screw on) so I removed it and used the screws to attach the plastic bracket and the foam inside the "cap". Is there anything wrong with doing this?

mick29

Jun 8, 2009
Salisbury East
Check spark plug as your mixture may be to lean or rich. Black mean to rich, white is too lean. It should be light grey light brown in color. A good plug is the NGK B5HS works well. Make sure your plug is tight enough this will stop any oil leak from head and plug.

Your air filter will work fine.

Regards mick29

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have 3 problems:

1. When my bike is in motion it "jerks" and "sputters" about every 2 - 5 seconds. What normally causes this?

Try a new plug, and make sure your mixture(s) are correct. I would not recommend 16:1 ever, even for break in. 24:1 or 32:1 have proven to be more than sufficient.

2. A very small amount of oil is coming out from the base of the spark plug area while riding. Its very small but noticeable. Is there a problem or should I just clean it regularly?

Use some anti-seize compound on the plug. Never remove the plug from a hot engine. The metal gasket gets crushed once you tighten the plug, and will sometimes leak if you remove the plug or just from running the engine. I wouldn't worry it to death.

3. My corroborator wouldn't fit with the "cap" on it (it was hitting the frame and wouldn't screw on) so I removed it and used the screws to attach the plastic bracket and the foam inside the "cap". Is there anything wrong with doing this?

If the carb opening is sufficiently covered, you will have no problem.