My motorized bike rides with pedal cyclers

GoldenMotor.com

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Last week I led a group of 8 pedal cyclers for 5 days of riding in the Appalachian Mountains in Western Maryland. I loaned my motorized bike to one of the group because he was not a strong enough rider to ride with the group. He is overweight and not in good shape.

He had tried to ride with us last year, but had to give up and turn back very quickly because he could not handle the hills. The roads in the area were built before earth-moving equipment, and they just follow some very difficult terrain with frequent grades of 10% or more.

Well, he had no trouble keeping up with us using the motorized bike! Just the opposite. We couldn’t come close to keeping up with him. He could pass us any time he wanted. We would be struggling up big hills at 6 to 7 mph and he would zoom by us at 20 mph and would soon be far out of sight.

We gave him the job of stopping at every turn to point the way to the riders and waiting for the last person to pass to make sure everyone was OK. Then he would race to the front to get to the next turn to give directions again.

He really enjoyed being able to ride the routes so quickly and easily. We were glad he could share the days with us. My reaction to being passed so easily was, “My God, that bike is so incredibly fast and powerful! It’s awesome!”