Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This bottom end is the foundation for the strongest engine I have or have had, if you. Lost power Im gonna say you have something going on besides the lower.

Map

TwistedAlloy68

Jul 28, 2013
Bellingham WA
I had a solid running pk80 on the bike, pulling crazy rpms, the vibrations were hard to handle so I picked up the dax bottom end and now the bike hardly runs. All the other parts were swapped over, do all fingers point to the magnet? The plug wire was also swapped but the same coil was used?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hard to pin point anything without more details other than it hardly runs.

Does it not hardly start?

Does it not hardly take off because it boggs down?

Does it hardly rev up?

Does it just have a lower top speed?

Remember the engine needs some miles on it to loosen up and get settled in also, " breakin "

Not sure that I can be of help but some of us may be able to point you better to some possibilities if we have some better detail on exactly what you mean by "it hardly runs".

Map
.wee.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don't know what the stroke of the pk80 is but does the piston travel all the way to the top of the cylinder? Or it could be compression related, I would check to make sure it didn't break a ring.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I don't know what the stroke of the pk80 is but does the piston travel all the way to the top of the cylinder? Or it could be compression related, I would check to make sure it didn't break a ring.
I acttually thought about that also, the PK80 is a 40mm stroke if I remember right, the grube engines are a 38mm stroke im pretty sure.
I deff. Think it may be a good idea to make sure the piston is reaching correct TDC

TwistedAlloy68

Jul 28, 2013
Bellingham WA
When I say hardly runs. It won't idle at lower rpms, under 4k. It takes a lot more peddling to get started. I lost about 1500 rpms off the top speed and the torque is a lot less, small hills are now a big problem. While running it seems to be missing . The bike was pulling 9500 rpms 40+ mph. I'm not new to this by any means, I'm just stumped by what the issue could be. Thanks.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
No problem we were just starting with the basics, the magnet is probably the last thing that could fail in my opinion. I would make sure the carburetor was OK and check the compression to start. Also if the pk80 was vibrating as you said the solders on the coil would be suspect also.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
When I say hardly runs. It won't idle at lower rpms, under 4k. It takes a lot more peddling to get started. I lost about 1500 rpms off the top speed and the torque is a lot less, small hills are now a big problem. While running it seems to be missing . The bike was pulling 9500 rpms 40+ mph. I'm not new to this by any means, I'm just stumped by what the issue could be. Thanks.
No offense intended bro, Im not new either and I can tell you your problem is likely nothing to do with the engine lower.

Best wishes and Im curious to know what you find to be the problem.

Map
dnut

TwistedAlloy68

Jul 28, 2013
Bellingham WA
No offense taken. Miss interpretations are easy with text. Some more background on the bottom is it showed up with the studs busted off the front. Is that anything a hard hit could throw out I'm not thinking of? I noticed the crank is skinnier than the old one could crankcase pressure have anything to do with it? I know it's not the stroke. I appreciate the help I will post what is going on once I find out.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
On my f-80 bottom end with the PK-80 top end, the jug has been decked by about 1 mm- This minor alteration will allow you to maintain proper squish clearance whether you are running one or two base gaskets.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Something i noticed on my GenIV dax lowers is that the transfer port ramp areas are smaller than on some of my other engines, if you had a pk80 with the larger ramps in the csae there could be a slightly less flow capacity and that could account for some power and speed loss possibly, on mine I did not enlarge those areas and I have had mine rev to 9400+ rpm.

If all the components from the other engine are still in top shape and the tune is good all I can think of that could causing your issue is flow restriction or lower compression.

Map