spring tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
ebay had a spring tensioner for sale that was like the kip spring tensioner.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorized-b...268&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&sd=230934249520&
I bought and installed it and here is my review:
First of all i had to use 2 longer bolts to hold the thing in place, the short stock ones are too short, i used the ones that come with teh rag joint kits off ebay. they are 4.8 but haven't had any real problems yet, and 2 washers on each bolt to set it right.
Second, i had to find a good stiff spring to apply tension. I tried a skinny one like on the picture of the kip tensioner and that one didnt hold at all. So i went to the tractor supply and got a super stiff one that i coudl barely budge with my fingers, that one was too stiff to get threaded through the tiny holes machined into the tensioner. I ended up with a medium and short spring.
Onto the skateboard wheel.... It barely has any clearance between the wheel and the tire its so fat. So i moved it up until it was just between frame clearance and my wheel so it didnt touch. when i drop the clutch it would slack a bit. When my sprocket wasnt true it would slack on the side untrue, so its a good indication of your sprocket wobble.
Next, i took a grinder and cut my engine mount studs off so there was no extra thread after the end of the nut. Not only does it look cleaner, but now i dont have the wheel rubbing against the mount studs.
Finally I replaced the skateboard wheel with a 10t idler gear from ebay. Couldnt find it but the bikeberry one is practically the same.
http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit...les-10t-precision-bearing-idler-sprocket.html
I like these because the wheel introduces friction into your chain and the gear just feeds it smoothly. When you're pedaling that friction is just working against you.

All the tensioners ive bought, i dont like. but this one makes me more comfortable. Im not afraid of teh wheel gettign sucked in. it does a good job.