Diagnose the Issue!

GoldenMotor.com

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Hello,

Owned my MB for about four months now, and I have put about 150 kms on it.

Is there any maintenance that I should look into doing now that I have got a decent amount of Km's on it?

The only reason I ask is because on my latest rides, I notice that I have to pedal harder to get the engine started ( Meaning a higher speed is needed to engage the clutch and start the motor). Once the clutch is engaged the motor runs perfect. It seems that I have lost a little low end power, and I think that the solution is to clean the clutch pads out. I have stumbled ona few threads outlining how to do that.

Let me know if my Diagnosis is correct, I just wanted to check here before going into the clutch.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Steven Gill

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Sounds silly, but check tire pressure, brake adjustment, and wheel bearings for tightness too. I thought my engine was dying, and the brakes were rubbing, and the tires were low. :-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
actually, the clutch could be causing the bike to lose low end power if it's not working right. if it's adjusted too loose, it might not be hooking up, so at low speeds it wouldn't take off as fast.

not really a "power" issue, but still.

it probably just needs to be adjusted a little tighter. after a few months it coulda just seated the clutch pucks in, glazed them, or wore them a bit.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The clutch pads have a break-in period where they wear fast through the rubber then when the wear is down to the threads then "normal" wear occures.

Search for the clutch adjustment threads here, they will point you in the right directionr.ly.

Last edited:

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Please take a look at the clutch pads, I think they will need replaced, they seem to be breaking apart. I think if they do need replaced I can replace them under warranty. Also you can see the uneven wear pattern, is this an adjustment issue or a replacement issue?

Thanks,

Steven Gill

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I have no idea what kind of clutch puck you have there. When I changed mine they were black all the way through and the crosshatch of threads were very even in their exposure. Yours looks evenly uneven, like the clutch disk is dished or something. No idea what the material is.

All you can do is clean things up, trim the pads to fit or replace them. I just don't know what they are supposed to look like when they are wearing down.