79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Interesting point Pat, I would have been happy to Half Link the KMC Z410 Gold chain. But it would have drove me nuts aesthetically to use that one off colored link.
Just kidding Pat, But the build instructions don't indicate Diamond brand chain. Or I missed it somehow. :)
Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 Half Link chain on the other hand is total over kill, but it sure does look nice.
Should have had some photos to post but we had a Spring blizzard 4/15/18 and today my back was causing great discomfort.
Chiropractor and Dr. meds will get me back to work tomorrow.
Tom

Reactions: Nightster

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
1/8” chain should work. You won’t be using it much. I have never owned a chain breaker. Use a punch, hammer and socket. Find any small half link and splice it in, mix and match pin and rollers to fit. You can make your own half link from another link.
Tony, I spent some of my formative years as a Schwinn mechanic. It was the right way or no way. I have used a pin punch and hammer but prefer the control of a breaker. Thanks for the reply.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Today was play with the bike day after work. Locked down the engine mount system. Now the primary drive functions as Pat expected. Got a photo of the brake arm strap I fabricated of 14ga. SS. Shadow chain breaker arrived Thursday. quality tool for breaking 1/8" chain.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Pat Dolan warned me to double up brake straps to avoid possible failure. Shimano brake straps are .035" and my strap is .075" so slightly stronger. Knowing a guy who had a rear wheel failure at speed reinforced Pat's advise.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Well it seems every time I try to do something not pure Sportsman Flyer it just does not work. At least for me.
$70 worth of Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 Half Link chain is a no go for pedal side. Half link was not a solution for slack chain. As per Pat Dolan's recommendation #41 Diamond Brand chain on order. Thought it would arrive today. It didn't. Good thing I had a good day at work . I won't post photos of saggy Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2 Half Link chain. You will just have to use your imagination.
Tom from Rubicon

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
An easy solution to your issue is to add a chain tensioner to the pedal side chain. Use 3/16 aluminum plate cut like the one in the photo, add a roller. Attach it to the axel and tighten it down, you can adjust as needed with just loosening the axel nut. Simple stupid design but works well ...no more headaches....cash in your pocket...ha ha
EA8BBECE-C500-4B46-948D-406599DB7B99.jpeg

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Jeff, that is genius! Thank-you. I am thunder struck by the simplicity and sanitary solution. Getting good tension on both sides is the culprit. I guess when I get off work Friday (a six hour day) to my machineshop I go.
You got a dimensional drawing you could lend me or did you just as they say " By rack of eye". Then I got to hope Pat won't dislike an alteration of his proprietary design.
Pat has been very kind to me as I came in the back door so to speak. #41 chain did arrive today, the good stuff Diamond, all ten feet of it. Can always use it on the left side. I must say though, that half link gold chain is pure sexy.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Jeff Wolf of Wolf Creative Customs posted an image of how to balance pedal chain tension vs power side, brilliant! So I had in my collection some .187" X 1" 304 SS. Jeff spect'd .187 aluminum. So mine is over kill.
Story of my life. It took a 1/4" offset to get the roller in track with the chain. Drive train finished. on to the next challenge.Both sides the chains are running freely. forewords and backwards. That is a big deal Pilgrims. Thank-you Jeff. I needed a veteran primo builder to give me an option that will pay dividends.
My version is not as artistic. Jeff's is arched and I know why, it is a frame clearance feature.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
On the other forum, was told the idler was pressing the chain wrong way.
So, after waxing the chains in a mixture of Paraffin, Bee wax, Powdered Teflon, and Dow Corning 111. When the chains were reinstalled. I tensioned the pedal side chain as I was told to do.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Final set up this last weekend of keyed kill switch. The stock on - off switch was broke right out of the box. A plain kill switch is not secure, so a keyed switch is cheap insurance. Here in SE Wisconsin you can park an unchained Harley with a for sale sign and it does not move until it is sold.

Attachments

Last edited: