My wife wants a motorized tricycle...

GoldenMotor.com

ImMrFixit

Aug 6, 2014
dagget ca.
Is there a specific type of engine kit that needs to be purchased for a tricycle? My wife has decided that she wants one. She's looking at the Schwinn Meridian. Anything I should do or know in advance? Thanks

Attachments

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
I just installed a Harbor Freight 212 cc 6.5 HP engine on a Schwinn Meridian. I used a max-torque centrifugal clutch with 10 tooth sprocket pulling 56 tooth drive sprocket with #41 chain. That bike will almost idle at 20 mph. I got to attach a torque converter and gear it down. The bike is not that stable to start with and I got way to much motor on it. I would suggest a harbor freight 79 cc engine with a torque converter. It would be plenty to pull your bike around. I have 3 other two wheel bikes with engines on them and they are very stable, but the trike scares the bee gees out of me. Bldr1000.

Attachments

Last edited:

TomyJ

Jul 24, 2014
Lakewood Ca.
My local bicycle shop will not sell/build Schwinn Meridian, they say the frame/rear axle will not withstand the higher speed, they sell/build Sun Trikes from Florida and a nice big basket in the back :>)
If you go electric stay above 350 watts and 36 volts, If you go gas stay close to the 100cc
but also remember MB rules are for 2 wheelers, NOT 3 wheels according to Ca. DMV Motorcycle Handbook :>) Yeaaaaaaa !!!

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
Well, I made new mounting plate, extra strength, installed comet torque converter, 10 tooth pulley pulling #41 chain to 56 tooth sprocket on 26 inch wheel on Meridian Trike as stated above. I cannot keep the large 41 chain on the 56 tooth sprocket, it keeps creeping over the top and off. Its dangerous. Why do they make the 56 tooth sprocket so skinny. If it was thinker the chain would probably stay on. I first used a Centrifugal clutch and chain stayed on but clutch was not strong enough. Any ideas why it wont stay on? I have adjusted andm lined this thing up a bunch of times.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Is the sprocket warped? That's always fun. Make sure nothing is moving axlewise or flex on the chassis and engine mounting also.....doesn't take much torque to move things around if they're not rugged enough

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
I'm not giving up just yet. I'll check the flex and the sprocket again. It seems to be running true, and the torque converter may be flexing some since I moved the drive gear to the outside of the shaft.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I built a Schwin 3 wheeler with a front wheel electric motor and battery pack in the rear basket for my girlfriend. She rides it everywhere and has never had a problem. The thing is plenty strong.