First cruiser build from way down under

GoldenMotor.com

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hey all,

This is my first build, just thought i'd throw a couple pics up and introduce myself.

I'm from melbourne, australia and decided to build up a motored bike to get around on for a while due to a license suspension... :|

i scored a brand new "Byron Beach cruiser" on ebay for $150 AUD, pretty standard bike, histop rear coaster hub, and v brake on the front, i really liked the frame on this one.

its running a 66cc ebay HT kit, NGK plug, bosch lead and a "speed" carb.
roughened up intake port and tube, deburred everything nasty i could find in the bore/head

had to machine out the center hole in the rear sproket to fit over the hub,
and also fabricate an engine mount for the downtube because it was too far away,
its handy having a lathe, vice and welder around for these builds!

just about done running it in on 16:1, i'm going to mix up a tank of 32:1 using castrol oil and see how it goes, so far i've leaned out the needle and its been running pretty good.

really getting into the board track style of things, hopefully i can work some of the styling into this one.

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
thanks Dave31,

moved the CDI up a little, sprayed some ceramic header paint on the exhaust, had welded up some tiny holes in the factory welds and was looking a little ugly..

re aligned the rear sprocket the best I could, its not perfect, but better than it was.

gonna have a search around work for some 1" tube to fab up a laid back seatpost, and also might chop up some handle bars and do a new exhaust just to try it out.

ordered some new tyres, 1.75 schwalbe road cruiser for the front, and a 1.95 schwalbe city jet for the rear..

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
chopped the seatpost down and got my buddy at work to fab a laid back seat post,

had some ape hangers from an old 20" lowrider bike i used to ride bout 12+ years ago, bit odd but pretty comfortable to cruise now!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I don't usually like the Ape Hangers but in this case they make the bike and if I may suggest get a full rear fender and a behind the seat gas tank.

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
cheers guys!

had a few issues the last week...

had touble with the stator, was on my way to work and the motor died, wouldn't start at all, no spark etc...

ordered a new stator and cdi just incase, replaced the stator fired right up!

test rode around the street for bout 15mins, all good just like before,
then the next day went to leave for work, got about half a mile down the road the thing stopped again!, had to ride back home ... not happy

messed around with it after work, re gapped the magneto, tried different leads/plugs, old cdi new cdi etc, nothing i tried worked at all, pulled the motor off and ordered a 50cc 4 stroke kit.

i just can't justify the time trying to diagnose this little motor..

all up i got about 2 weeks riding time, should have just gone with the 4 stroke in the first place!

ahh well, i've changed the bars, and i'll paint the frame, pics soon once this new motor arrives!

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Plainly your bike doesn't like going to work ;)
spot on!:D

Your bike looks great!
I am looking forward to your 4 stroke conversion. Which kit did you get?

thanks!

just a 'titan' 4 stroke, from a local supplier,
i'm hanging to make a nice thumpy exhaust for it!

also ordering a sportsman flyer rear sprocket adapter, i'm not into the squished rubber not quite running true stuff ha!

motor kit should arrive monday, and with a bit of luck i'll get it done during the week

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
that is a great looking motorized bicycle. i think the felt are perfect for a 2 or 4 stroke motor. nice job foundry

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
cheers paul!

no pics yet but my kit arrived this morning,

its gonna be a tight fit, still trying to get the engine mount in the right spot with enough clearance from the front chain ring, and enough clearance from the top tube so the carb and throttle cable will clear,

i'll either have to cut away some of the engine plate, or do some hammerin' on the top tube.

the kit didn't come with a 1-3 piece crank conversion BB, so i had to order one today, its got the wide cranks though...

seeing as my bike is totally stripped down i might give it a coat of paint, old timey vintage beige will look neat!

new kit also has a larger fuel tank, much better quality over the china girl stuff, actually the whole motor is a heap better all round.

keen to get it fired up!

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
couple progress shots

i ended up making an intake manifold, so the carb can sit out on a 45 degree angle out of the way of the top tube etc..

i'll post a pic once its all welded up

sprayed the engine shroud to look a little less lawnmower and also gave the frame a couple coats of rustoleum 'almond gloss' seeing as it was all stripped down already

with a bit of luck i might have it running again tomorrow :D

Foundry_Man

Jan 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
had my workmate TIG the manifdold together

sittin sideways now!

slowly coming together, trued the new rear sprocket and had to take out 1mm from the centre hole on the lathe

hopefully will have the rear wheel back in tomorrow so i can align the motor at least.

i am 99.9% sure that the cranks will not clear, and i'm trying to search for a wide bottom bracket, it came with wide cranks but nothing else...

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Buy your work-mate a pint and a pack of smokes (or whatever), that's a very nice TIG job.

Can you change/add bends to the crank arms instead of having to find a wide bottom bracket?