any ideas how to add generator to 142f ghost racer

GoldenMotor.com

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
Ok then, what gauge is the wire, and how many feet of it is there?
I would also need to know what the magnets Gauss is from the flywheel magnets.

Or just simply, what is the AC voltage at 2000 rpm? that is as simple as it gets.

what is the AC voltage at 2000 rpm? period.
I doubt I need more lessons in magnetism or electricity. who cares if it is rectified or regulated to 12 volts dc, it could be regulated to 6 volts DC. the ONLY thing I would like to know is---What is the AC voltage at 2000 rpm? for this mag.
http://phantom-bikes.com/parts/standard-light-system/

But I am sure there is another lesson on the way.

does anyone have the number? AC volts at 2000 rpm?

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Ok then, what gauge is the wire, and how many feet of it is there?
I would also need to know what the magnets Gauss is from the flywheel magnets.

Or just simply, what is the AC voltage at 2000 rpm? that is as simple as it gets.

what is the AC voltage at 2000 rpm? period.
I doubt I need more lessons in magnetism or electricity. who cares if it is rectified or regulated to 12 volts dc, it could be regulated to 6 volts DC. the ONLY thing I would like to know is---What is the AC voltage at 2000 rpm? for this mag.
http://phantom-bikes.com/parts/standard-light-system/

But I am sure there is another lesson on the way.

does anyone have the number? AC volts at 2000 rpm?
Easy enough to find out. BUY one.

The manufacturer spent the time to measure the engine, produce a core & wind coils to determine the power that the engine can produce. They package the entire unit.

You can either buy one & reverse engineer it, or jump through the same hoops as your screen name suggests.

I would be inclined to take a second ignition coil, strip it down and use the lamination to wind a trial coil & measure the output...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yep, simple question.
Buy one, hook up a tach, hook up a meter and measure it!
Then share it with us.

THAT is as simple as it gets and repeatedly asking for an answer nobody here seems to have won't help, it just annoys.

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
It bolts on under the air filter , there's 3 mounting lugs that work perfectly! That is a 12V magneto and I use it to run the head light and tail light.
I apologize for my persistance

to quote KCvale- """ THAT is as simple as it gets and repeatedly asking for an answer nobody here seems to have won't help, it just annoys. """
Would it have been to much to just type your first response as, ""we do not know the answer to that???And perhaps the person who has one may have taken a crack at an answer?

I guess asking for an answer nobody here seems to have, requires many responses that go around a bush, that is just as annoying.
I was thinking the person that was using one may know the answer or may not , worth asking., But with all KC's responses burying me in nothingness it may have eluded the answer long ago. Don't get mad now KC, but it's almost like you want to spam a lot of threads with non answers, and jibberish. Just my thoughts, no one elses. if someone wants to ban me from this site , for those thoughts that is fine with me. I have no problem with your stories , but c'mon, "I really don't know "" would have saved me from asking more than once.

Last edited:

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
Easy enough to find out. BUY one.

The manufacturer spent the time to measure the engine, produce a core & wind coils to determine the power that the engine can produce. They package the entire unit.

You can either buy one & reverse engineer it, or jump through the same hoops as your screen name suggests.

I would be inclined to take a second ignition coil, strip it down and use the lamination to wind a trial coil & measure the output...
I was simply trying to find out, before the expensive trialnerror period, now I am not sure if it would be worth sharing the outcome with others. since no one here would do that, clearly.
All this to see if someone had One number.

After all , what is the spirit of this forum?

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
now I am not sure if it would be worth sharing the outcome with others. since no one here would do that, clearly.

After all , what is the spirit of this forum?
What is the sprit of the forum?
To share what we know and think we can help with, especially with something as new as this.

Forums last forever and a wealth of knowledge when people take the time to actually explain things, especially with pictures.

The title of this topic is
any ideas how to add generator to 142f ghost

I was the first to reply and started with the basics of what is involved as this is of great interest to me as well.

Low and behold we find out Phantom Bikes paved the way with a bolt on solution for the 142!
Hats off to them!

It's a couple of coils and a regulator.
* Msiert's pic enlarged, thanks for sharing.

One big Stator coil would work, they used 2 smaller ones.

On lager engines like this one for a Honda 125, the stator has a series of 8 of these coils around the rotor magnet for tons of power like this.

The more coils you have, the more power it makes (and drags the engine) as the magnet spins around inside it, that's why don't see them on little engines, the Rotor magnet is on the outside of the flywheel/cooling fins for the CDI's magneto only.

All that is needed is just a Stator coil or two like Phantoms and a 12V AC/DC converter and regulator mounted where the magnet with spin.

This looks like as good as any place to find stator coils and 12V AC/DC converter and regulators.
http://www.rickystator.com/

A 75W coil or two like this for ~$55 should do the trick.

This looks like a fair price for a 12V regulator/rectifier for ~$55 as well.

75W / 12V = 6.25A max output current.
You'll never see that, there are losses at the regulator and RPM's will matter some, but you should be able to count on 4-5A regardless of RPM, at least as long as it's enough to make it into 12C DC.

So for you guys looking for
any ideas how to add generator to 142f
you have some basic info and resources for parts to make one now.

If I ever get around to playing with this I'll share what I find in this topic as well.

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
It has been tried 4 years ago - someone on this forum did it, and they supposedly worked. no more from him.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=14817&highlight=abikerider&page=3

unfortunately none of those rickystator has will even come close to working on the 142f.
maybe with the right type of stator(outside the flywheel), something may be made to work. but I haven't seen one yet except for Phantom Bikes copy of abikers rig.

This reg/rect works just fine no need to spend $50 for something meant for a 650 motorcycle. building one yourself cost about the same $4.50 for parts from radioshack, without being in a housing already.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Reg...Go-kart-JCL-/121441210733?hash=item1c4675d16d

the coil i made from a two cycle magneto and rewound just for lights only produced 8.5 volts Ac - so only 1 stator coil Will not work, it has been tested by many, only good for 6 volt lighting. for 12 volts there Needs to be more than just one coil winding, mainly because the magnet on the flywheel isn't strong enough,not a high enough Gauss, again tested and proven by a few. abiker and Phantom bikes and a neighbor of mine . in my posts are the parts I used.
I only wondered if the guy that had the PB mag, also knew the numbers for its output- unrectified. and am still wondering if he does know. that is if he didn't get bored a long time ago reading all the jibberish, and not to return to this page .

Attachments

Last edited:

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
The 49cc HS 142F engine you have does not have a power mag, but I'll bet you could attach one right next to the spark mag.
I will bet he knew that and that is why he started the thread.

"An external bolt on mag, clever and easy but not really efficient, for max efficiency you want the coil as close to the spinning magnets as you can get with nothing in the way like an engine cover.

There are plenty of uses for that mag, you just need some basic electrical skills to pull it off is all. "

yeah that was helpful, too.

The AC output will vary by RPM.
The faster it spins the more power it creates.

The more you draw directly, the more engine resistance it will cause, that's why a battery is such a good buffer, the engine doesn't have to work too hard to 'trickle charge' a battery but no matter how you do it, there will be an equal loss in the available engine power to put to your back wheel.
much like the jackshaft leaching power with all it's physical friction and engine running at 11,500 rpm.

Well as far as the spirit, Sharing knowledge, sharing is good, spamming so people get off track is not. no one will learn anything with 20 spam posts to read through, they will get bored and leave the thread. well it really don't matter here they now know Phantom bikes has one ready made. before the spamming started. thank you KC for sharing your wealth of info with us.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about taking something like the Honda setup and mount it on the jack shaft would be geared down and have less drag......Just a thought................Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
How about taking something like the Honda setup and mount it on the jack shaft would be geared down and have less drag......Just a thought................Curt
Yep.
Less drag and less power generated, the drag is from generating electricity.

It all comes down to how much power you need to rob from the gas engine to power something else because there is no magic in power besides the magic of Smoke.

As you all know all electronics are based on Smoke.
Let it out of and it's dead and you all know the smell ;-}

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just going by my garden tractor 15 amp system and it don't have to rev very much to put out about 10 amps.................Curt

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
then you would need to find a flywheel with the magnets, and also create a place to mount them both.

the magnets in the flywheel is where the magnetic flux comes from, that creates a current when passing the copper coils through that flux field. there will be "Drag" like KC
says. But not to the point where it will be noticed by human senses. Putting a two pound weight in your pocket before a ride will cause more drag than the drag created by the coils passing through the flux field, creating current enough to power a few LED's.
In other words, the power lost while creating electric, will be less than the power gained by using an Iridium spark plug. Comparable to using an extra 12 or 13 drops of gas more each 1/2 gallon tank of gas.