1964 chicago schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Hi everyone I have the chance to buy a 1964 Schwinn for $50 dollars its a cruiser style 26 inch tires and fenders with a front rack and everything's original its a little rusty but is 50 a good price? Thanks

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
A very wise man once told me an item is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If it is worth 50 to you it is worth it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So long as the surface rust is just that, surface rust and not deeply pitted chunky rust.
With a bike that age, one should expect to have to repaint it anyways.
!!!WARNING!!! The factory paint on it contains lead! When you sand it down wear a respirator, not one of those cheap white paper dust masks either.
Or have it media blasted by a powdercoating shop.

As for motorizing it, it is absolutely perfect!

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow and I'm pretty shire its just surface rust it still has the original tires and tubes! I noticed the where the crank goes into the bottom bracket all the chrome there is rusted but the crank is still smooth as can be and other than that its a little scuffed up but no tears in seat and fenders aren't dented so I'm hoping it will be a good purchase! Also its red

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay thanks gearnut I willtry to post pics when I get it! After I restore it Im gonna have to decide if I wanna do 4 stroke or two stroke I'm in the middle of doin my theuster fixie two stroke so maybe ill go 4 stroke on this one but then again the two stroke looks more classic... I just hope its a good deal for 50 I'm gonna try and see if **** take 40 but I think he's firm on price

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm building a 98cc Lifan on an American made Schwinn, I don't know what year because I cant find a sn, but I know its American because its a skinny frame with thick walled tubing. I got my frame for $25 without forks or bearing cups. $50 for a complete bike is a steal, and I can think of few things I would rather put that 98cc engine into than American steel. Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
All old Schwinns have a serial # somewhere on the frame... either on the head tube, on the rear dropout or under the crank.

Post the # (& where on the frame it is), & I'll tell you what year it was made.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
So how would I go about restoring it? I wanna make it so that it doesn't loose any collectors value
If you're unsure DON'T TOUCH IT. Check it out first. Some items are worth far more in UNRESTORED condition. My view has always been to just build what I like and heck with collectors. I doubt it's worth that much but I'm just an internet dink, check it out first.

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
not to be a debbie downer but if you cant find the serial numbers how does the seller know its a 64 chicago frame?
i have a 72 schwinn varsity road bike that was a garage find, the serial number is on the bottom edge of the head tube just above the chrome. it was built in december of 72 and still has the original brake pads!
as far as the surfacee rust goes? if its not too bad some of us would call that a patina. :)
lightly sand and spray it in clear. even if its not a 64 $50 is a steal!
squirrel.wee.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
not to be a debbie downer but if you cant find the serial numbers how does the seller know its a 64 chicago frame?
i have a 72 schwinn varsity road bike that was a garage find, the serial number is on the bottom edge of the head tube just above the chrome. it was built in december of 72 and still has the original brake pads!
as far as the surfacee rust goes? if its not too bad some of us would call that a patina. :)
lightly sand and spray it in clear. even if its not a 64 $50 is a steal!
squirrel.wee.
The OP isnt the one who can't find a serial number, I am. I havent checked all the right places on the frame yet, but I will tomorrow and then I'll get back to you all.

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
I also couldent find a serial number I looked everywhere I studied it for a half hour and I don't even know if its a Schwinn! It had a Schwinn headbadge and that's it I wonder is the evil flea market Guy put a Schwinn headbadge on an old rusty cruiser.. for now ill stick with my thruster fixie. The Guy also had a rude strong additude

Last edited: