cafe style seat on a beach cruiser??

GoldenMotor.com

motocafe

Jun 24, 2010
orange, ca AND downtown san diego
i just had some ideas in my head and i was wondering how people mounted their cafe style seats on their cruise or bike..

i was thinkin maybe a banana seat mount and cutting the underside of a saddle up and mounting it to a cafe seat..

i wish i could post pictures haha

thats my bike btw

engine and cafe tank are in the mail! i cant wait!

Last edited:

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I kind of had the same thoughts. I ended up with a banana seat and I took some foam and upholstery vinyl and re-covered the seat with more padding. That plus a suspension sissy bar made for a comfortable ride.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have metal working skills you could build a seat frame. I don't pretend to be an upholster so my seat looks like the amateur job it is but the frame is stout. I used 1/4" X 1" flat stock and a short stub of 1" round stock for the seat post. Plywood for the base then some high density foam and vinyl. Someday, when I paint this bike, I might have a real seat cover made for it by someone who knows what he's doing.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's all apart as we speak...finally painting the thing. Got the basecoat on the tank but it needs the trim color, dark metallic brown, yet. With any luck I'll have it back together by next weekend.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2Door, I'm no upholsterer either and yours looks better than mine. I'll be that's a comfortable seat.
Tim,
I broke my wife's sewing machine trying to stitch that thing up. I finally finished the job with a hand stitcher. I found some 4" foam at a upholstery supply place here in Denver they called 'motorcycle foam', very high density. It is a comfy ride, especially for my skinny, no padding butt. I'm building another one with a little fiberglass tail end on it, more like what you'd see on a real cafe racer. I'll have someone do the sewing for me on that one.
Tom