Building a Micargi Mustang GTS-Any Tips?

GoldenMotor.com

Cruzin

Dec 4, 2009
Fl
I went up to my local bike shop today to check on getting new bearings for the rear hub before I start on mounting the sprocket. The guy didn't seem to think that there was an upgrade type of bearings. It is a rather small shop, and I don't think that he was familiar with Micargi bikes. Can anybody fill me in on the bearing upgrades and where to get them.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
wow that's a totally different sprocket than what I've ever had -with the elongated stock holes, but yes, that's exactly how I lined mine up for the new holes.. on mine the outermost holes on each of the sections is a straight shot through the spokes, and the middles are iffy or you have to pry the spoke to push the screw through, so I just use the outer mounts and upgrade the bolts to a stronger metal..

Cruzin

Dec 4, 2009
Fl
I think that I will make a cardboard template of the sprocket first and see how the holes line up with the spokes.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Theres absolutely no way the three bolt Creative Engineering adapter works with 68 spoke wheels , Pirate Cycles have Creatives 68 spoke adapter tho , I had a lot of trouble trying to make the kit sprocket work with 68 spokes , lost my chain riding home one day , I decided to go to 36 spokes and adaptor , I run a 24 by 3 rear , wide tyres are another issue that causes probs with the kit sprocket.
Correct Simon,
Cheers

Here is the 40 tooth sprocket from Pirate Cycles that works with the 68 spoke Micargi wheel. This sprocket acts as your dustcover and connects directly to the flange of the hub. The allen fastners used for connection are countersunk flush to the sprocket, therefore the brake arm needs no modifications at all, "nice". Nylock mounting hardware is included. I have a quantity order in with Jim that is due to arrive before Christmas. We will update our site upon arrival.

IMG00116-20091028-1836.jpg IMG00118-20091028-1836.jpg IMG00119-20091028-1837.jpg IMG00113-20091028-1835.jpg
Thanks
Justin

Last edited:

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Hey Justin , That is a tidy solution , much less pain than drilling the pressed steel Chinese kit sprocket.
Thanks Simon,
We try to keep things as "newbie friendly" as we can. .
Jim and I have been working together this entire season on different projects. Some are keepers and some aren't worth the paper they were written on. It is certainly not as easy as just saying.. Jim make me a sprocket for the 68 spoke wheel..
Extensive time, research, and development go into these parts before they go out to the general public.
.Jim is a expert in his profession and Pirate Cycles is proud to be recognized as a authorized retailer of the Manic Mechanics parts.
Thanks Again,
Justin.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
best looking micargi I've seen! love the dualing chain guards and non interference with stock pedal chain. did you replace all the bearings and oem stuff?

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Go for the 80cc. it helps to have the extra power for the weight of the bike..make sure you get all your bearings upgraded, as the Micargi ones are complete crap. I've used them on a quarter of my builds, and every single on I've wound up replacing. I mounted mine towards the rear and cut the manual chain guard with a dremel to make it all fit nice and tight and had to add an extra chain roller on said manual chain side to guide around the slight interference of the engine. I didn't need longer cables with my Grubee 80cc, though I did need a second drive chain piecemealed together until I found an extra long one on eBay, at which point I used a chain breaker and dropped the master link completely. I also would suggest upgrading the hardware that attaches the drive side wheel tensioner to some high grade nuts and bolts, as the ones that come stock strip.

I dremeled out the inside hole of the drive sprocket to fit the 68cc hub and drilled 6 holes total in the sprocket outwards one full measure of the inside sprocket mount plate, and have been running off that without problems for 4 years, barring the blowout of said craptacular Micargi bearings in the rear hub.

I also found the OCC stingray seat is perfect for this bike. Using it makes the physical positioning on the bike a lot more comfortable than the seat it comes with..I had the drive side chain gaurd off for spraying, but it's now reattached and matching the rest of the bike..
how did you mount the engine?

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I mounted my engine toward the front of the frame instead of the rear. The only thing that had to be longer was the chain and chain guard. Does have quite a bit of chain noise but runs really nice.
donb4103

Attachments

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I mounted my engine toward the front of the frame instead of the rear. The only thing that had to be longer was the chain and chain guard. Does have quite a bit of chain noise but runs really nice.
donb4103
beautiful bike!! hows the center of balance with all the weight up front?

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
100% agreed, but sometimes text just doesn't come across correctly. I am guilty of this too, as I just had a post deleted that was totally misunderstood. oops, I'm a newbie. But no vendor, especially sponsors should say anything bad about each other, or to each other.

This forum rules though, and attitudes are much better than 90% of forums out there. I am sure we would all like to go for a ride together.
I agree, and in my opinion the root of text "not coming across correctly" lies in the correct use of the language in its most proper form. that's what words are for-- clarification. Too often in this new era of text slang coupled with assumption and perhaps emotion; wires get crossed. heck, I've lost a girlfriend over basically "nothing". So if we all proof read our comments before we hit "submit" , perhaps threads can be opened and amicable. ever read a comment you wrote a week later and think, "uh-oh, that isnt what I was intending to say" ... I certainly have. anyway, rock on brethren...

DB

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Wild to read your early questions in the threads, and then see the finished bike. Beautiful job Cruzin, truly an awesome bike. I hope that mine turns out as cool. I am doing a rear mounted style(seatpost) because during the 2 years I've ridden it around town, the nature of its length and front heavy frame is to fall over off the kick stand, or generally be a pain to park., and unable to ride hands free. So I'm wondering if the riding characteristics will be better or worse... i'd love to hear from someone who hasa ridden both mounting style versions.

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
Go for the 80cc. it helps to have the extra power for the weight of the bike..make sure you get all your bearings upgraded, as the Micargi ones are complete crap. I've used them on a quarter of my builds, and every single on I've wound up replacing. I mounted mine towards the rear and cut the manual chain guard with a dremel to make it all fit nice and tight and had to add an extra chain roller on said manual chain side to guide around the slight interference of the engine. I didn't need longer cables with my Grubee 80cc, though I did need a second drive chain piecemealed together until I found an extra long one on eBay, at which point I used a chain breaker and dropped the master link completely. I also would suggest upgrading the hardware that attaches the drive side wheel tensioner to some high grade nuts and bolts, as the ones that come stock strip.

I dremeled out the inside hole of the drive sprocket to fit the 68cc hub and drilled 6 holes total in the sprocket outwards one full measure of the inside sprocket mount plate, and have been running off that without problems for 4 years, barring the blowout of said craptacular Micargi bearings in the rear hub.

I also found the OCC stingray seat is perfect for this bike. Using it makes the physical positioning on the bike a lot more comfortable than the seat it comes with..I had the drive side chain gaurd off for spraying, but it's now reattached and matching the rest of the bike..

Hello, can you maybe post a link to what seller has the extra long chain for the engine ?? Also...where did you kick that cool kickstand ? Thanks for your time....trk

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
Hi, did you have a problem with the drive chain rubbing against your sidewall of the read tire ? Maybe mine isn't aligned correctly.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
beautiful bike!! hows the center of balance with all the weight up front?
Not very good! It`s very front heavy,hard to steer and hard to park on its kickstand.
The second one that i built is a rear mounted engine and is the best handling and easiest bike to ride. i love it! Never do a front mount again!!!!