Please help with kit!

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
When you take your pictures take them at a low resolution such as 1024 X 768 or 640X480 which will make a smaller file size. Most of us take pics at the finest quality our cameras will produce which makes for a very large file size a lot of servers restrict due to demands on bandwidth and patience of users waiting for pic to download.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
...The images are pretty huge too if thats the problem.
There it is. Do you have MS Paint? If you have Windows, I'd lay odd on it. Open the pic in Paint, then click "Image", then "Stretch/Skew". When in there, just enter some number (under 100) in the Stretch part- same number in both. If it is a 7MP camera or above, I would suggest 50 or 60% to start, save it under a difference file name (to preserve the original pic), and post the reduced pic.

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
Pics attached.

On a side note, after riding it on the road for a while, I took it out on the road. As soon as I tried to start it on a hill, the chain jumped off and some of the links are messed up. We have extras, so i'll fix that tomorrow. I think it was because I was pedaling as I let out the clutch and gave it gas, it was a dumb move on my part but hey, live and learn.

This is getting irritating. I think the chain jumping loosened up the nice tight chain again... :-||

Attachments

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
There it is. Do you have MS Paint? If you have Windows, I'd lay odd on it. Open the pic in Paint, then click "Image", then "Stretch/Skew". When in there, just enter some number (under 100) in the Stretch part- same number in both. If it is a 7MP camera or above, I would suggest 50 or 60% to start, save it under a difference file name (to preserve the original pic), and post the reduced pic.
Thanks for the tip, btw. I set my camera for the highest resolution because I try to take good pictures every once and a while.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
My chain jumped off a couple of times at high speed. I noticed using the pulley pointing up makes the chain more level with the front sprocket bottom...at any rate it hasn't jumped off since and when I need to change my back tire it is easier to put the chain back on with the extra slack. It also helped to slime some grease on the chain as I noticed a popping sound on the front sprocket. Hang in there after the tweaking the fun begins. Take it easy breaking it in.

Last edited:

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
rdrunner2010,
Welcome to you and your dad. You've come to the right place for help. Let's take them one at a time:

1. Clutch: The clutch arm on the engine by way of a cam pushes in on a steel pin and ball bearing that applies pressure against the spring which puts pressure against the clutch pads, or pucks, as some call them. When the spring is depressed the clutch is what we call, disengaged. It is like pushing the clutch pedal down on a standard transmission car. The sprocket will always rotate when the rear wheel turns but with the clutch disengaged it is disconnected from the engine crankshaft. To properly install the cable you'll want to have just a very little bit of free play in that arm with the cable connected and the handlebar lever un touched, or not squeezed. About 1/8th inch or less of play is good. When you squeeze the lever that arm should move inward, toward the motor about an inch. That should get you in the ball park as far as getting the clutch to work. A little adjustment afterwards might be necessary due to the cable stretching.

Chain: When you shorten a roller chain, that's the proper name for the type of chain we're dealing with, you'll have to remove two links, not just one. There is a male and female end, or as you said, a receiving hole and a pin. To get the master link to work you'll need two holes.

Chain tensioner: The Kit supplied plastic or nylon wheels can be noisy but the engine, clutch and chain will make more noise than the tensioner wheel. The trick to getting the tensioner to work correctly is to bend, or twist the bracket so the centerline of the wheel aligns with the path of the chain. Most kit brackets do not allow the wheel to run in line with the chain and tend to pull the chain to one side or the other without bending or twisting the bracket before final installation. Many of us who have been around the block a few times secure the bracket to the frame with a small bolt and nut through a hole drilled completely through the bracket and bike frame. That will assure the bracket will not loosen and rotate into your rear wheel/spokes, which can be a dangerous and expensive event. If we can be of further assistance please feel free to post your questions. We'll do our best to get you on the road quickly and safely.
Tom
Question: When you pull out the steel pin does the ball comes out too?