Handlebar vibration solution!

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
has anyone came up with a way to help with handlebar vibration? I wonder if you could fill them with water or syrup or something?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
good idea on the foam. i would say the expanding. nice part with that is the stuff is bassically weightless. i am going to try it. i have used greatstuff for other things and like it. here is what it looks like

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I just replaced my grips with some like these

Made a world of difference.

Does the foam really work? I wouldn't think that it would do much because the foam doesn't have much mass and you need mass to deaden vibration.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
The more I think about it I think it would be easier to just get some padded gloves to wear? Like mechanic gloves or something.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes padded gloves will help your hands but, does nothing for mirror, speedo or anything else mounted to the hbars.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
good idea on the foam. i would say the expanding. nice part with that is the stuff is bassically weightless. i am going to try it. i have used greatstuff for other things and like it. here is what it looks like
That foam is right up there with: duct tape, bailing wire and ty-raps! But not sure if it will help in this situation.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I tried "rubber" mounts for my MB early on during it's prototype phase, but as the engine still wasn't broken in and was 4stroking a lot I found that although the mounts helped reduce the vibration I felt - it accented the engine's shaking and contributed to a fuel frothing problem and making it run even worse.

No - I wasn't using old bike tires for mounts or anything, I had "discovered" some nice polyurethane transmission racing mounts in the "other" pile at work and made bushings out of the cut down stock.

Only 1/8" thick I didn't think it would cause any problems, but man the motor ran a LOT better w/o them... I suppose now that I've gotten it running sweet I could put them back, but the vibration isn't really bothering me anyway what with the comfy gel seat I now have etc.

Just a thought ;)

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Yea, I agree with you.On my first couple of builds I used rubber between mounts and the frame and It may help with vibration in the bars, But It vibrated the engine completly apart.I think a solid mount is way better!

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
A flat piece of soft rubber isn't the answer.
That allows too much play for the engine to dance.
It needs to be done round bushing style, so as to capture
the engine tightly, but provide an isolation between the motor and
frame metal. Too much play and you might as well suspend your engine
in your frame with rubber bands.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
How did that silicone caulk work out? Was there an appreciable difference? I have noticed after long rides a tingling in my hands from the vibration, which on both my Americans seems minor, but after long rides is still a factor. This is not only uncomfortable but I wonder at the long term effect for riders who put a lot of miles on daily, say a hefty commute to and from work. In my part of the world of northern Minnesota there was a time when loggers developed something called "white hand" after long hours day after day running a chain saw. Back then there was more vibration coming through the handle. Over time that breaks down the capillaries in the hands so that there is a blood circulation problem, sometimes pretty bad. The skin tone becomes more white due to the lack of blood and they are always cold from lack of warm blood circulating throughout the hand. My thinking is that the vibration coming through our handlebars could be more than just a minor discomfort, but eventually a major ailment. So while some may think this is no big deal, maybe for long riders it is. Brett, what you described with the rubber bushings sounds similar to the rubber bushings on more modern chainsaws. I know that with your quality builds if your engines walked around you wouldn't use them and I believe you when you say they reduce vibrations. I seem to remember seeing a picture of your mounts, but would appreciate looking again. Do you have a link? Thanks,
Silverbear

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
my vibration problums went away after 150 or so miles. once the engine broke in, no vibration at all. although i switched to foam grips.(popular back in the 80's) that helped alot.

Screws

Aug 10, 2009
Baltimore, MD (Hampden)
I just isolate my engines from the frame with rubber.
Why not eliminate the source instead of trying to band-aid a problem?
I used an old inner tube to wrap the downtubes where my motor and my tank mount up, still get the vibration, but it's not as bad.... I'm studying on trying that foam in the handlebar, kind of like a dampener as described above.....

-Screws

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
having a slick tyre on the front might also help a bit in reducing vibration while cruising.. previously used knobby tyres, now I use slicks for a smoother ride on the road

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Brett, what you described with the rubber bushings sounds similar to the rubber bushings on more modern chainsaws. I know that with your quality builds if your engines walked around you wouldn't use them and I believe you when you say they reduce vibrations. I seem to remember seeing a picture of your mounts, but would appreciate looking again. Do you have a link? Thanks,
Silverbear
Right on my Signature, there is the link... =-]'
'Brett

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take your bars to a gunsmith and have them filled with lead shot. Pour some epoxy in each end to seal and you are golden.