My Dumpster FIND! will it work?

GoldenMotor.com

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
Well as some of you might know, I just joined a week or so ago. I'm going to be buying a 80cc kit from a sponsor on this board. I'm not sure of which one yet, probably the one who has the best deal on shipping..

Anyways I see most of the motors say they work with 24"-26" frames... All the bicycle I have are 20" so I doubt any of them would work..
I found this old huffy in the dumpster today. I don't like the fact that the tires are so narrow. Looks dangerous but what do I know. I will decently have to replace the tires and tubes before I trust it on the road with a motor pushing it along.

I would like to have a more "modern" looking bicycle. I just don't want to pay 2-3hundred dollars for a new bicycle. I'm trying to keep this project as cheap as possible..
Wish I could get a new Schwinn though I seen some nice ones over at Wal-Mart the other night...
Anyways here's my find what do you think about it?

Attachments

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
just wrap the frame with a piece of old inner tube or something like it till the motor mounts fit snugly, this will also reduce vibration. i would be on the lookout on craigslist.com for a better bike, but this one should work fine when you replace the tires and tubes. i would take it over some bumps and check to see if the frame has any cracks. and you want to be able to stop well.

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
just wrap the frame with a piece of old inner tube or something like it till the motor mounts fit snugly, this will also reduce vibration. i would be on the lookout on craigslist.com for a better bike, but this one should work fine when you replace the tires and tubes. i would take it over some bumps and check to see if the frame has any cracks. and you want to be able to stop well.
I never thought about looking there for a bicycle.. I do want something allot more stylish than this retro cycle..
Maybe I could pick a nice one up for like $100 at walmart who knows?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Chavo,
That's not a bad old bike and would probably suffice for your first build and to give you some experience and time to see if you want to invest more money into this hobby. Before you motorize it may I suggest you go through it, check, repack the wheel and crank bearings, lube the chain and sprockets and check your steering and brakes. Even though it was free you might find that putting it in good condition could almost be as expensive as one of those new Schwinns you saw. Less that $150.00 will put you on a new bike with new bearings, tires, tubes and brakes. It might be safer and more cost effective to go for an inexpensive new bike that trying to refurbish that old Huffy. Just my opinion however. Others might have different views. Whatever you do, I'd hold onto the freeby. It might be a collector's item one day.
Tom

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I agree with Tom (2 door) It can get pretty expensive fixing up the old bikes to make sure they are safe. I buy alot of bikes on craigslist, but I make sure they are pretty well ready for an engine. You can spend more for a decent pair of new rims than you can buy a really nice used bike or even a new one. I may be a little to safety cautious, but you have to treat these the same as a motorcycle.
Again, just my opinion.

John

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
ok I am shocked at all the great deals I've found on craigslist.. **** I even found a local guy selling the engine kits so I wont have to wait on it getting shipped

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
lol I even found a OCC chopper for cheap, is that a good one to covert?
I've seen a few threads about those bikes..

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The Choppers have their own special set of problems due to the wide rear tire. You would probably need at least a special engine mount for one. They are available.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Wow ! I actually had one just like that for awhile. Mine was a metalic "avacado green" and
had the 3 speed rear axle with the shifter trigger mounted on the handlebars. I had riden a
10 speed racer for so long it was refreshing to sit upright and ez ride again. I think mine
was around a 1970 or so model.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
...and that that kind of bike is THE EASIEST to mount one of these kits on....no mods needed. These kits were actually designed for that kind of frame.

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
Wow ! I actually had one just like that for awhile. Mine was a metalic "avacado green" and
had the 3 speed rear axle with the shifter trigger mounted on the handlebars. I had riden a
10 speed racer for so long it was refreshing to sit upright and ez ride again. I think mine
was around a 1970 or so model.
this one does have a 3speed hub, but the cable is missing to switch it.. Unless it engages it's self some how when it get's up to speed..

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
...and that that kind of bike is THE EASIEST to mount one of these kits on....no mods needed. These kits were actually designed for that kind of frame.
yes but as allot of people stated needing to go through and re grease all the bearings... Replacing tires/tubes could get quite costly on my low-budget project.. I might be better off find a nice "used" bicycle for under $50...

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
3 dollar tubes....8 dollar tires...a 4 dollar tub of grease, let's see that's under 30 dollars, plus the satisfaction that you did it yourself.

The three speed hub may present a small challenge though. I think any good bike shop would trade you for a coaster brake wheel.

Plus you can say "Look what I can do."

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
It runs in my mind that the 3 speed hub on the back of that Huffy had a Shimano
with the lever that was pulled by the cable to shift. I remember pedaling backwards
when shifting thru neutral to either low or high. Although they are called 3 speed
they are 2 speed and should probably be called 3 position. Still they are nice to have.

I've restored some free and $5 dollar bikes and everything is contingent on your source
of supplies as to how cheap you can restore it. Way down the river from me is an old
mom and pop bike shop and I don't know how they get their parts so cheap but they
have the lowest priced stuff around my area.

My last restore now has my Free Spirit front friction drive motor on it. When I was
looking at a Schwinn Cranbrook at WallyWorld recently it would have been over $90
dollars and I think what I restored is twice the bike for half the price. Not to mention
that I think it is more the type of bike that Tanaka designed the motor for.

You may want to hook up a cable to your hub and see if it works.

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
I'm only 25 years old, I'll be 25 in June.. I think I want something a little more "stylish" You know something I can really pick up the ladies on.. HaHa!
I do like the way those OCC Choppers look, I'm not sure of the frame size though? They look about like a 20" bike. I've never sat on one though so I don't know how comfortable they really are..

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would hate to think of the calibre of "ladies" you are gonna pick up on an OCC chopper...."Hey sweet cheeks, wanna sit on the handle bars and we'll go get a code red mountain dew?" "Yeah, can you hold my Hanna Montana lunchbox?"

Of course I am kidding, to each their own.