grrr new bike rims/wheels

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
hope this is the right forum for this,

I got my new a huffy good vibration bike from best buy online,(yes they do sell bikes ) as it was cheaper than walmart /target
I put the bike together and when I tested the rims/wheels of both front and back , both was wobbly/the front more than the back , would it be wise to send it back or take it to best buy and see if they will sort it out , or take it to bike shop and have them check rims/wheels but that will cost money I should not have to pay for brand new bike, i not even rode the bike yet .:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Cheap Chinese prices are great, but cheap Chinese quality is what you get for your money. Even if your bike came with perfect wheels, they're not going to stay that way long on a motor bicycle, because they're light duty low cost wheels.

The best thing to do is junk your stock chinese light duty wheels, and buy a set of heavy duty wheels that can stand up to the demands of a 30+ mph motor bicycle. Expect to spend about $75 each wheel. Yeah that's more than your bike cost, there's no free lunch.

If that's not an option, take your wheels to a bike shop and have the rims trued, and the spokes tightened. That'll cost about $30 or $40 for 2 wheels. Normally it's only the rear wheel that goes off true very often. Once you get the front wheel trued it probably won't give you too much trouble. But truing the stock rear wheel is only a temporary fix. Depending how hard you ride it'll be out of true again in a few hundred miles.

After your rear wheel has been trued about 3 times expect spokes to start breaking. That will tell you when it's really time to buy a new wheel, if you're still riding a mb by then.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
i think its the rims that are out of trued, so even if i send the bike back i might get another one same i ask around the bike shops here see how much they want to trued the wheels ty.
bikenut it not an option at the moment to get new wheels again i just starting and hope in the future i will when i get into it or i dont then i see how things go .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
One thing I think you've got going for you is your wheels may be steel. That should last a little longer than the stock alloy wheels that came on my cheap bike.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
My experience with buying big stuff online is they never want to take it back and pay for shipping again. I got half of my money refunded for a dented fender once. Try calling them ask for a partial refund say 50 percent and use that towards a new set of wheels. You should at least try.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
wife called best buy main office and they said take it to nearest store and i will be able to get my money back , i be looking for another bike might try Craigslist or wallyworld so i can check the bike first ty again for your input .

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas
I bought a set of 11g wheels with a front strumey archer drum for about $190 but the will never break with what I do with them. I had already broken some spokes on the 14g stock wheels.