what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Spent some fun time putting a SBP tuner pipe on my bike. Cleaned up the head/cylender and carb. Rough fit of the pipe on right now and tomorrow i will make a steel mount for hanging the pipe with out movement. Cant wait untill I get the bike back up and running with this new sound.

Would like feedback on a nice way to mount the pipe. There is a mount welded at the bottom of the inside of the expansion chamber. Thinking i will mount a L bracket where the kickstand goes and using this piece of steel bar 1" wide to attach it with a nice ruber bushing on the pipe end of the bar.

Attachments

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno

hopefully gunna be able to go for a ride later today. Haven't rode my bike since the time change, and working 2 jobs. My buddy and I are testing out our spring tensioners we made for our bikes. Keeping my fingers crossed for a ride tonight.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

hopefully gunna be able to go for a ride later today. Haven't rode my bike since the time change, and working 2 jobs. My buddy and I are testing out our spring tensioners we made for our bikes. Keeping my fingers crossed for a ride tonight.
If yer tensioner works out, shoot us a pic of it.
fatdaddy.usflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas

Got some high friction clutch material today. ill make mine this weekend. I could possibly be persuaded into Making some more for others.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida

Repacked the transmission with lithium grease, repacked the coaster hub with high temp grease, and installed a new exhaust gasket. Went for a ride the transmission noise is less - yay. Then I ran out of gas 1/2 mile from home... Doh!

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno

If I figured this out there should be a pic of the Frankenstein tensioner. It worked. Only I didn't have that much gas

image.jpg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

If I figured this out there should be a pic of the Frankenstein tensioner. It worked. Only I didn't have that much gas

View attachment 55182
Venders charge a lot of cash for that same design. Good job bro, Glad it worked out for you.
fatdaddyusflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
I just noticed, It's a cut off door hinge. THAT'S GREAT.

Last edited:

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno

The spring...whats the specs on it...I've been searching for a sturdy enough spring...and that tensioner looks awesome...great job...

Thanks for the complement.

I just threw the packaging away last night too. I do believe that the spring is .105 gauge and 1 3/4 inch. Not sure on the weight it needs but it took two people to get it on. Some of the other springs were too long so it took a few trips to the hardware store to get it figured out.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I ground down a 14mm crescent wrench so that the bearing keepers for my rear hub which is threaded and has two flats I could turn it back against the thin nuts that are next to them. Its an older hub, there are no races.

For both sides I can do this and now I have just the right amount of end play and it will not change when I torque the nuts to hold the axle in the drip outs.

That metal did take time on the angle grinder, but it is really an invaluable tool now.

Also finally got to starting on my turn buckle design for dual drop out tensioning for my vee-belt rear wheel pulley drive on my 3hp 40:1 ratio Briggs bike. It will be a dirt bike and also get the fish cover for art vehicle parade speeding below 5mph.

When this belt tensioner is done, I have just one more of the three I have on the bike with the twin stacked jack shafts. The last one is using an flat idler pulley which is on order. I'll make it slotted like the one between the upper and lower jack shafts or maybe have a spring loaded idler on the back of the vee-belt.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

According to the thicknesses mentioned on Sheldon Browns website, for a cheap wrench 0.28" and a cone wrench 0.08" the difference is 0.2 inches, which I ground into dust. In a search it seems there everywhere, but in local stores.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/conewrenches.html

The turn buckle I will add more length to one side of the threaded 3/8 rod with the hook. I have a low profile coupler nut with two extra nuts and lock washers to attach it. This will make it clear obstructions and I will not have to temporarily remove the banana seat bars at the drop outs.

Dumb luck I took the right hand threaded side of the coupler which is what I wanted. I have to still put finishing touches on the tensioner.

FYI, I was in a OSH store recently and all the bags of a particular size of left hand nuts were actually just right hand nuts. The store help was going to leave them there even after he tried them also. I for the Heeel of it just brought them to the manager on the way out.

MT

Attachments

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Ineed it is dgizzle...but they aren't cheap and I like his idea...definitely an invaluable tool...
I just took a couple wrenches,(cause there are a couple sizes,) and ground them thin a long time ago. My only problem is finding them when I need them. I sometimes let my friends fix their bikes in my shop and they think they are "helping" by organizing my shop. My shop STAYS disorganized, but I know where everything is, untill someone try's to "help" me.
fatdaddy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

I know there expensive but that's not a crescent wrench. Its an open ended wrench. Just so no one tries it with an actual crescent wrench.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I know there expensive but that's not a crescent wrench. Its an open ended wrench. Just so no one tries it with an actual crescent wrench.
Thats right d gizzle, Even a cheap chinese open end wrench will grind down and work just fine. Why spend a lot of money when you can just make one.
fatdaddy.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Sounds to me he used a crescent "brand "wrench and ground it down, I have seen the crescent brand wrenches at wal-mart.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Sounds to me he used a crescent "brand "wrench and ground it down, I have seen the crescent brand wrenches at wal-mart.
Yup, thats what he did. He perhaps should have called it an open end wrench, but his pic says it all.
fatdaddy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Thanks for the clarification Greg,wasn't sure my point was getting across. I try to buy only Craftsman tools. Gotta love that lifetime guarantee. I know the workers at Sears hate it.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Thanks for the clarification Greg,wasn't sure my point was getting across. I try to buy only Craftsman tools. Gotta love that lifetime guarantee. I know the workers at Sears hate it.
Well, Maybe not the workers. They still make their $5 per hour. But I wouldn't think the shareholders are too happy about replacing a 20 year old tool with a brand new one.
fatdaddy.