Stolen Bike In Southern California!!!

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i built an old 40's Colson for a friend and it was stolen last week from the GoatHill Tavern on Newport Blvd where it intersects with Harbor Blvd, in Newport Beach / Costa Mesa.

My buddy stopped to have a beer, locked it up in the bike rack in the alley, was only in there for 30 minutes or less, and someone cut his lock and took the bike.

it's licensed, the serial number is on file, and he filed a police report. the serial number is 290051E0.

it's a 26" Colson, black with burgandy accents. rims, fenders, frame and fork are original, and easy to spot.

the most distinctive part of the frame is the "looptail" rear-end.

there's not too many Colson's around (i pretty much cornered the market on them) so if the bike was stripped of the motor it would still be easy to find.

if anyone sees it, grab it. and if you're in the mood, mete out justice as you see fit...

thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
here's pic of the frame, fork and wheelset, before paint, to give you an idea of the style.

the rims are drop-centers with the original burgandy paint, 12g spokes, but the drum brake's not on anymore.

it's the economized version of this bike i built:

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
I spent a couple of weeks restoring a antique gasoline engine and someone stole it out of a tin shed in our back yard. The sheriff said I should have written my name on the inside someplace. If someone steals a licensed bike is that the same as stealing a registured motorcycle?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yeah, the bike's registered as a moped in California. Its in the DMV database as a motorized vehicle. if a cop checks the serial number it'll come u as stolen and who its registered to.

and, I've been stopped a few times and the cop has checked my serial number against my registration. that's why its important not to fake it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry to hear about this. Your friend must be deeply bummed. Good that it's registered. This sends a kind of shiver out into the the motorbicycling community that it can happen anywhere in any state. I hope this story has a happy ending. Good to take photos of your serial number at the very least if you don't register or license it.
SB