Need Some Help!

GoldenMotor.com

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
I bought a Grubee Skyhawk GT5 (60cc) motor kit for my Schwinn Delmar Cruiser. I am 100% new to bikes and bicycle motors (in fact the only reason I bought it was because my cars engine went out and i did not have the money to buy a new one/get a new car) so take it easy on my novice questions.

I got the motor mounted and all and I am trying to install the sprocket on the rear weel and I have no idea what to do. I cut the rubber pieces like directed and put the in the spoke. I got them in and put the 5 metal pieces and 9 bolts in.

The part I now see I am missing is putting on the other sprocket (the one that came with the kit). It says to "Secure with 9 bolts compressing the chain sprocket to the spokes" but I do not see how the **** I am suppose to do that. I have no idea how or where to put it on at and then the chain is kicking my ass! I got the side piece of the motor off to put the chain threw BUT when I try to "use the supplied spark-plug wrench to turn engine crankshaft sprocket to feed chain around it" my crankshaft does not move at all. I can't move it 1/4 inch in any direction so the chain is not even fully on.

I need some serious help before I get frustrated and decide to just throw this hunk of metal in the garbage.

P.S.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I am new and I do not want to read 50 sub-forums to find the right place to post a question....

Last edited:

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
What directions are you following ? Do you have the spark plug in the engine ? It wont turn over very easy if it is in.

Installing the rear sprocket is the hardest part I think. At least it was for me when I first did a bike. You just have to take your time.

Do you have the coaster brake arm off ? The directions say to file your rear sprocket to fit but its easier to just trim the dust cap. More accurate too.

You said you cut the rubber "pieces" , you only need to cut one. One goes on the inside and one on the outside.

Here is more instructions with pictures :

Center Mount Gas Motorized Bicycle Plans Installation

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
Following the direction that came with the motor kit (same ones from the grubee web site).

Yes the spark-plug is in (it was already on when I got the kit so I never knew to take it off).

I already managed to get the chain on the motor using a little force and a flat head screw driver (very dumb idea but hey, it worked)

The stupid manual said to cut the rubber pieces -___- looks like I'm screwed. Very poorly done manual. Not at all helpful....

Coaster brake arm is off, thats where all my problems are now. Now I can't even put the wheel back together

Thank you so much for the help! I just gave up a minute ago, spend 4 hours trying to install this rear sprocket and it took me 3 hours just to get the motor mounted on! I have very little patience for these kind of things. I would of just taken it to a bike shop but none of them had any idea how to install motors and when I even brought up a motor they all said "this is a bicycle shop" so all hope is gone as far as an easy way out. I have 1 more day left to try and get this thing working. Guess I will be up all night.......

Something told me to just keep it as it is. Now a cant even get my wheels to move because I pretty much disassembled the entire rear wheel and I have no idea how to put it back together.

I hear a lot of people saying how easy these are to install.....what a joke.

Last edited:

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
with the wheel off the bike I cut one (1) fiber disk to fit over the axel. I used a 3/16 drift to aligin one of the bolt holes. instaled a blot and just started the nut. I repeated that for all nine blot holes. Then I used a Kant Twist clamp to hold it all together for tightening. It goes like this sprocket, gasket, wheel, gasket, steel half clamps. You need to center the whole assembly before finial tightening. Getting the clamps to lay flat was really hard to do. Then of course I had to do it all over because I had to reverse the sprocket because the chain hit the tire. It was one of the biggest pain in the asses of the whole build.

Jim C

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
What directions are you following ? Do you have the spark plug in the engine ? It wont turn over very easy if it is in.

Installing the rear sprocket is the hardest part I think. At least it was for me when I first did a bike. You just have to take your time.

Do you have the coaster brake arm off ? The directions say to file your rear sprocket to fit but its easier to just trim the dust cap. More accurate too.

You said you cut the rubber "pieces" , you only need to cut one. One goes on the inside and one on the outside.

Here is more instructions with pictures :

Center Mount Gas Motorized Bicycle Plans Installation
Some of those instructions in that link are off, in step six for instance, you only need to cut one of the rubbers so it can go inside the spokes. Modify your coaster brake arm and also make sure that the chain tensioner is secured so it can't rotate on the chain stay and wipe out your spokes. (drill a small hole through the tensioner into the chainstay and install a selftapping screw) Better yet adjust the motor chain tension correctly and use the tensioner on the other (bicycle chain) side.

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
Thank you all so much for your help, you have restored my faith in getting this thing put together!
I am so glad I found this site. Sometimes i just let the frustration take over. I would rather have a slowly built and well put together bike than a quick-job that ends up causing lots of problems in the end.

I will definitely get to reading and trying out things tomorrow morning.

If you guys find any more things that may help me out please share, the more knowledge the better.

Again, thank you all so much.

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
Yay I managed to get the sprocket on correctly! =)

So now I need help with one more thing and that is putting my wheel back together. I do not know what to do. I took apart the entire inside of the wheel.

Need help getting on the brake arm and main pre-installed sprocket (and everything in between).

I had had it somewhat put back together but the main sprocket would only turn until it tightened up and then it could not move at all unless loosening it up.

Normally the main sprocket would continue to turn w/o tightening up and of course the brakes would engage when the wheel was moved backwards. No idea what the name for these kind of brakes are so I could not look up a repair.

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
My coaster brake arm in perfectly in tact it is the insides that are taken apart. The main sprocket is out and the stuff inside is out.

If I can I will try to upload a picture.

EDIT:

Here is a couple seconds long video (no camera, just a video recorder unfortunately but I show you what is taken apart)

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8430/vid00011.mp4

or

View My Video (this one works better than imageshack, at least for me)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm sorry - I'm not the most knowledgeable in regards to coaster brakes, but I figured that link was not only a pretty good description of it's general assembly and adjustment, but a reference to what the part was called to aid in searching as well as providing a link to a member that would know it well...

There's ofc reference guides such as this: Park Tool Website

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
Don't get me wrong the link was very helpful, it just doesn't show the dismemberment/assembly inside the wheel. I appreciate the help though. Maybe I am over reading something on that page. I will try to do more research.

And at least you have more knowledge than me haha. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I getting along thanks to all of you.

bobby galliher

Sep 1, 2010
maryland
def. do i just bought a new kit today and for whatever reason my clutch isn't engaging any suggestions cause I'm at the end of my ropes with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!