How do I protect my investment against thieves?

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
hmm, i guess i'm kinda of lucky, i lock mine right outside my classroom window, locked to a brick wall

i am curious about you other riders

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Bikes like these are light, so easy to steal obviously.

To keep someone from riding off with it, when you lock it up to something (heavy steel preferably), run the chain/cable through the front wheel and frame, and the back wheel if possible. This will make it tougher for someone to ride off with it (also having a quick-release seat helps that too). As for the guys with trucks, really all you can do is use a heavy duty lock on a heavy duty something-er-other to lock it up.

I'm lucky, we have an indoor bike rack in our warehouse, so I can use that. Hopefully they don't pitch a fit about my motor though....

Last edited:

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
There were details about Handyman magazine type bike box built of wood on the other forum.

And Michigan/U of Alabama and other campuses are sprouting up with the bike equivalent of the bus depot lock box, stalls with lockable doors where you park it and take the key.

Locks, photographs available to show authority, little labels warning
"I will prosecute anybody stealing this bike for "horse theft", a felony, still punishable by hanging".

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I lock mine up with a cable lock weaved thru my front tire, frame and a post. Plus I try not to let it out of my site for too long.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I cable mine to post in front of my shop. I weave the cable through the back tire and frame lock it close to the pole. I don't have much slack in the cable. I also have a webcam hooked up to my computer that has a motion sensor. If someone walks by my bike it starts recording. So if someone does take it I have video of them doing the deed. And it's right outside my front window so if I was to see them I keep a 9mm handy. I bet they would leave it if I saw them. Well unless they had me outgunned.:D................................

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I weave a cable lock trough the back weel afrme and both chain, the I have a small blue tarp that cover the bike I then fold it over the top of the bike and using master 3 locks i lock one side of the tarp to the other and 2 of them to the spokes as well and the third one to the cable lock as well,

Most people think that i am just trying to keep my bike dry, and that it just an average bike.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i bring mine inside also. ask first and if they wont let you bring it in they may have a storage building or somewhere you can park it also. i have to say i worry about mine being stolen also but with the only one on the island with one it would be easy to find if it is stolen

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I admire the courage of all of you who leave your bikes . I do not use my bike to commute . When I take my bike out , I don't take a lock with me . I don't take my eyes off my bike . Accept for short spurts of time when I go behind a tree for a short squirt . When I go to a "show and shine" I will make arrangements with a vendor and I chain my bike up to their display . They get the benefit of my bike as a draw and I get the benefit of all day security . .... D.J.

I posted these on the other site . My suggestion is to make it look like a large dog house .

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
I hide in the bushes about 50 feet away with a 357 mag locked and loaded. its all good until i have to open fire then someone always gets hurt.....no but really, i lock mine to a pole, tree, or bike rack. anything that is bolted down. also i run the cable thru the rear wheel, then thru the frame, then the front wheel....it would take a lot of work to take it. but , if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it no matter what.
enjoy you whip! jeff

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
mine is inside the shop , right outside my office, but where I live , everywhere needs a bike rack, like they used too. it seems bicycles became a toy or novelty back in the 80's and no one rode for transportation just recreation and now as gas has gone up the bicycle is back! and no where to lock them up!