60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Camlifter,

Cool App.

Cd is .9 for a bicycle and rider, with the rider sitting upright... Cd is .5-.7 with the rider in a tucked postition.

DV weighs 150lbs...figuring on the extreme high side, let's say the bike ends up weighing 60lbs. for a total of 210lbs.

In a tucked position the frontal area will be nowhere near 6 Sq. Ft. A small fairing would reduce this area to nearly 1/2, or 3-4 Sq. Ft. I think somewhere around 5 H.P. will do it.

Jim

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I have to admit that while I don't worry about doing a ton on my Goldwing or even on my Silverwing scooter (yes it will, easily) I get a wee bit nervous on my motorbike at 35mph. I rode 40mph downhill on a pedal bike once which didn't bother me but doing that on my motorbike would give me the willies. I think it's because of the engine chain locking up the rear wheel and dumping me when I first rode the thing. 20-25mph suits me fine on it.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
60mph, thats about 96km/h. This was achieved in the fifties with moped technology from the day, ie no exhaust chambers.

the 50cc record stands at about 145mph or 233.3km/h

some ideas of what it takes and an interesting timeline

recordbikes

10 speed gearboxes, iced cylinder heads, disc valve induction with various forced induction setps using exotic fuels.

50cc road racing was popular back then.
I like the Kreidlers, broke many records

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
60 mph...that's fast. Here is a totally unrelated anecdote:

I often ride my 66cc Schwinn to school (I take my NAU classes at Scottsdale Community College) and the 11 mile ride is a coin flip between street riding (motor engaged) or pedaling the beautiful bike path that winds through Scottsdale and dumps me a few miles away from campus. In any case, I have to take Pima (Arizona residents may know the road) southbound to Chaparral. On this flat stretch there is a bike path that goes with traffic, and, for about a mile or so between between McDonald and Chaparral the bike path merges behind a wall and onto a destitute neighborhood straight-away. What I like to do, is stare down the driver of the nearest car at the intersection on Pima and McDonald (usually a suspicious maladjusted stare, only it is totally innocent...but they don't know that, however) - only so that they will remember me in the next 5 minutes. I pedal through the intersection and engage the motor and haul ass down this mile stretch of neighborhood road, often times beating the car I stared down to the intersection at Chaparral and Pima, where I cross the street (motor disengaged) and continue my maladjusted stare. It totally freaks people out. I have seen many-a-person give me that how-the-****-did-you-get-here-so-fast look. Its incredible how often people don't realize you have a motor on your bike until you turn it on.

So yeah, now that you know that, a 60 mph bike would really up my game.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Sometimes I will be riding at a very quick pace in traffic but I`ll be pedaling backwards....You should see the looks I get from people and kids seeing me going forwards(motor engaged) but pedaling backwards,lol.....

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Sometimes I will be riding at a very quick pace in traffic but I`ll be pedaling backwards....You should see the looks I get from people and kids seeing me going forwards(motor engaged) but pedaling backwards,lol.....
LOL... Up a hill.

Justin

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I don't doubt it can be done, a 49cc engine can be tweaked for at least double the power the stock engine turns out. I had a 1964 Yamaha 80cc two stroke motorcycle with four speeds that would easily reach 55mph, so a 49cc pushing a lighter bike should do it.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
I am sure after riding in some neighborhoods of Clearwater that there is at least one bookie that can cover these bets. Unless you are all bull ---- I'm with the Creative Engineering Team . you want odds ? Name them. put up or shut up
Gene

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
this is a pretty silly thread guys. bicycles are not made to do 60 mph. its that simple. anyone that has modified one of these motors on a bicycle to do over 35 mph know what happens. things loosen and things break. vibration on a one cylinder is way to much turning those kinds of rpms for a bicycle that is made to ride around at 6 mph average. i modified a cruiser and could get 37 out of it but things would fall apart and cruising at around 30 was max you wanted to do unless you wanted to get home and fix things. i have to say the virtual ice cream cone sounds pretty darn good though weekend-fun lol. seriously guys. if you want to do 60mph buy a motorcycle that has the shocks, the wheels,. the frame, the breaks ect ect that are designed for those kinds of speeds. the motorized bicycle is designed to have fun and enjoy things you are missing cruising around in a car or on a motorcycle at 60 mhp plus

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
laff

It is silly Paul...the ultimate don't try this at home thread...but guys are humored by this kind of stuff.

We're just doin' it for kicks, because we can...the stuff to make it happen won't be for sale for the reasons you stated!

Jim
Lol and poor DVbikes is the guinea pig :D
I hope you guys aren't just using a old mountain bike.. *shudders*.duh.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
60mph, thats about 96km/h. This was achieved in the fifties with moped technology from the day, ie no exhaust chambers.

the 50cc record stands at about 145mph or 233.3km/h

some ideas of what it takes and an interesting timeline

recordbikes

10 speed gearboxes, iced cylinder heads, disc valve induction with various forced induction setps using exotic fuels.

50cc road racing was popular back then.
I like the Kreidlers, broke many records
So ALL YOU GUYS YOU MAY NEED A REAL ENGINE LIKE THIS ONE--AND ITS ALREADY BEEN DONE 50 YEARS AGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.