what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

got a new spark plug in that should prove much better than a normal plug.

i'll let the pictures do the talking.

it's a NGK BU8H

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Finally had a break in the weather so I got to ride to work today. Good run each way, had to tighten a couple of spokes before heading home, but that's why the spoke wrench lives on the 'biner with my keys. It's the original rim, so a few loosen up a bit sometimes.
It still has that 'new muffler smell' but that should fade in a couple more rides. I haven't got the lights aimed quite right yet. They helped in the blind curve, but aren't throwing the light far enough ahead for me right now.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

got a new spark plug in that should prove much better than a normal plug.

i'll let the pictures do the talking.

it's a NGK BU8H
Please let us know how it works out.
That is quite an interesting looking plug for use in an engine.
It resembles a mechanic's test plug.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

The plug sure fills the hole a lot better than a stock one, skaard! I'll bet it even bumps the compression a tad. Wonder if the coil has enuff poop to drive that plug???
Best
rc

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Fours of sleep and I was biking to work. Previously the chain was as tight as "high G" on a guitar! After the new motor mount was installed, chain adjustment was good. Tension was the same at day's end. Previously, with the old mount and a Chinese freewheel, the chain would tense and loosen within a few strokes, then tense up again. Now, chain tension is spot on and consistent. i can sense there is less undue tension on the chain, freewheel, sprocket, even the bottom bracket cartridge.

The ride to and from work went without incident. You never know how the commute will go without a test ride.

I had been searching locally for M6-80mm length allen bolts for years. The correct bolts were found on McMaster-Carr reasonably priced. They arrived today and were quickly installed.

I can't wait for daylight and my commute to work!xct2

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

It was almost 60 degrees F today, January 6th, in Michigan. Had to go for a ride.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

MM gen 2 head: check
BU8H NGK plug: check
Piston to head clearance: check
dellorto clone carb: check

*starts bike* super low compression (didn't let rtv cure long enough)
me: balls to it.. *keeps pedaling until engine starts catching. then give a gentle lap around neighborhood, stops, checks the bike. starts it (harder to start this time).*

*gave it gas*
me: HOLY S***!!! *hangs on for dear life!!!*

verdict... this bike owns my last build now!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Got stainless steel tubing for exhaust system out back of motorbike. 3 ft with 3/4 thread and two adapters to add at ends to make it to 1/2 pipe thread on the Briggs engine/spark arrestor muffler. Just will remove the rubber gasket for the water pipe use and put the Permatex 700 F copper forma-gasket stuff on the threads. Also go the clamps that I can hang the tube along with other brackets that I already have for assorted stuff to do on the bike. About $44 for the stuff for todays purchases.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

For my birthday today I got 68 degree weather! So I took the bike out for a spin. Stopped by the local NAPA and showed the fellows what I've been doing with the parts I've been buying there. They loved the bike. I got some interesting looks from the other customers also. Fun day. Nice ride. Pretty good birthday.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

WOOO!! I finally got my first build up and running! I still got to fix the rear bikes and a thing or two here and there but man was the few minutes I was riding it were fun or what! First up on the modification menu is getting the pedaling noise down with all that chain racket. But still gobs of fun, can't wait to take it out tomorrow. Got to cold to keep goin here

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Woohoo! This mid-sixties weather in January is the bomb! I've been out and about lately, just puttin' around the neighborhood. And answering the occasional question of "What is that?" with a simple "It's a motorbike." I love doing that.

BTW: Thanks guys for the birthday wishes. For all I've been through, on good days I don't feel that much older (until I look in a mirror, which I only do when I have to).

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I started work on my chainguard, using generic aluminum channel. There's a LOT of exposed chain when you use a Scooterguy mount.

Also working on my shoulder strap. I'll be using this to carry my bike up 2 flights of stairs after every ride.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Got the seat tube adapter to use the Dynacraft seat and post in the LA Cycle's BigMo I'm fixing to sell. The BigMo has a 31.5 post hole and the LTD post is 25.5mm. I'm sitting on the bike and notice the chain side crankarm is bent in :p I'll be getting the BIG pipe wrench out to bend it back out. Then chain it to the gas pipe in the front yard and sell it :)

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

WOOO!! I finally got my first build up and running! I still got to fix the rear bikes and a thing or two here and there but man was the few minutes I was riding it were fun or what! First up on the modification menu is getting the pedaling noise down with all that chain racket. But still gobs of fun, can't wait to take it out tomorrow. Got to cold to keep goin here
congrats on getting it running, R_M!
I had the same problem when I got mine going....I had to adjust the motor mount so it tilted forward a little, & then I also opened the drive sprocket cover & used a file to wear down the parts (a little) where the chain was grinding against the motor. Your problem might be different, but those are decent places to start.
DEFINITELY get those brakes fixed lol have fun

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Rode around for 45 minutes recording with my playsport zx5 in my phones holster clipped to my brake cable. Really shaky vid, but youtubes' video editor cuts that down to a minimum. Got a few good "looks". Got chase by 2 dogs. Smaller dog was maybe a lil' over a foot long, 2nd dog was a good 3 foot long, and about 1 ft wide. The smaller dog was trying to get himself ran over by my front tire. Before i saw them, i heard barking, and as i got to a coldesac, this small dog come barrelling out of his owners drive way, with his friend not far behind. Both barking the whole time, the bigger dog ran a good 2 ft to my left for about 30ft then gave up the chase, the smaller dog snagged my pants leg and then let go(so glad). I didn't want to have to pull his remains out of my rear chainstay and friction drive. The smaller dog kept getting closer and closer to my front wheel and then darting out right in front of my wheel, so i had to keep jamming on my brakes and swerving to the left cuz i was inches away from hitting mailboxes on my right side. I finally swerved quick enought that the smaller dog rolled over trying to turn back to his left and i gunned my engine and escaped. Fun little adventure. caught some air on speed bumps. :) Top speed so far: 26.4mph

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

I took a brake handle off a parts bike and put it on the BigMo, the one that was on it was ground all to heck from crashes. The hand grips got here, too, and were installed. Tomorrow it's find the 40" pipe wrench to bend the crank arm back out. Then put it on a chain in the front yard with a for sale sign on it. I live on a busy street so it might not take too long to sell.:-||