Don't neglect the Bevel and Clutch Gears

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Hey Newbies Pay Attention!!
I work at a local TV station and am required to be in before sunrise to prep am programs and flip some switches for Radio Dept. A 7 mile one way trip. Usually very peaceful and relaxed as I'm the only person on the road at 4am. Well I did a 40 mile ride with my sister sunday, it was a beautiful day here in mid Maine. I did notice engine noise more than normal then and for the past few days before. I put it outa my mind. I got almost 4000 mi on this motor and am sorta lettin it go hoping to justify buying a KTM from Duane @ DAX. Anyway on my way to work the engine went from a consistent clatter to a grinding growl. And the clutch at the last moment didn't release like normal.
I quickly killed the engine and called wifey for the not very often come rescue me call. Loaded the bke in the truck and was dropped off at work. All day today I'm thinking that darn wrist pin bearing and how lucky I was that I killed the engine in time. After getting back home I pulled the clutch cover making sure it wasn't somthing else going on. Well this is what I found....Like I said don't neglect these gears. Just a dab of grease 2 weeks ago when I first got the warning would have prevented this failure. Clutch gear seemed unhurt.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oh yeah, the old metal-to-metal thing. It'll get you.

I would say that primary gear is toast. Replace it but make sure the new one runs true and doesn't wobble.
It doesn't take much lube but you need to be consistant with greasing those gears. Too much and you'll have the clutch slipping. Too little and, well, you see what can happen. A dab of good quality bearing grease, about the size of your little fingernail, should suffice. I like to distribute it over the teeth of both gears.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the new guys, Allen. They should know that metal against metal is a no-no.

Tom

siouxindian

Jan 4, 2013
tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Oh yeah, the old metal-to-metal thing. It'll get you.

I would say that primary gear is toast. Replace it but make sure the new one runs true and doesn't wobble.
It doesn't take much lube but you need to be consistant with greasing those gears. Too much and you'll have the clutch slipping. Too little and, well, you see what can happen. A dab of good quality bearing grease, about the size of your little fingernail, should suffice. I like to distribute it over the teeth of both gears.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the new guys, Allen. They should know that metal against metal is a no-no.

Tom
when you grease them use moly 60 paste/ grease.

Jun 2, 2014
Springfield, IL
I was just looking at that! My motor only has about 100 miles on it and I pulled the head and jug and covers off to see how things are going and noticed that bevel gear looks dry. Also noticed some greasy, rubbery like stuff on the cover, opposite the bevel gear. I'm assuming that's the clutch material wearing normally?
Anyway, I'm gonna grease it, but how often should you check it and/or grease it?
Once a month? Every 100 miles? 200? 500? What do you think?
Thanks and happy motoring!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll get lots of opinions on recommended gear lube frequency. I do it about every 200 miles. That's always seemed sufficient for my riding style.

Tom