4 liter tank

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I was looking for a tank for my 4 stroke HF build. Wanted something that looked like a Whizzer tank. Of course not willing to spend the money on a real Whizzer tank, nor did I feel authenticity was very important, since my bike is all new (and not a Whizzer).

Anyway, I knew that Wildfire sells a "Whizzer" tank, the red ones on ebay that have the stylized "W" on the side of the tank. The frame mounts on that tank appear to be similar to vintage Whizzer tanks, not the new edition Whizzer tank. I thought the price of those tanks seemed a little steep for what I wanted to do with it. But I don't want my tank riding high on the top tube.

On a lark I searched ebay for motorized bike tanks, and found this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-gas-motor-bicycle-engine-bike-fuel-tank-black-4-L-rear-frame-TK-4-2-/140685534040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c182e358
It's a 4 liter tank.

The pics aren't great so I won't truly know until I get it, but it looks identical to the Wildfire tank, except for the color. Price shipped including the tank cap, mounts and fuel shutoff valve is much less than the cost of the Wildfire tank.

The cap seems to be in the approx. correct Whizzer position and the profile looks right.

I paid $53 shipped.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
At least they got the mounting studs off the bottom of the tank. That is a good looking tank with a decent looking valve. Looks like a good decision :)

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
At least they got the mounting studs off the bottom of the tank. That is a good looking tank with a decent looking valve. Looks like a good decision :)
Thanks. I liked that it appears the tank will sit down in the frame, even just a little.

thats a lot of $$$$ to ship it though. im also in need of a different tank il post em here if find some good deals
Total cost for me (shipped) was $53.00 After you factor in shipping on most small motorcycle tanks (used) and add a cap and valve the cost is much higher.

if you can, post the length and width of that tank.
After I receive the tank, I will post an update.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I received the tank today. It was delivered Fedex, and was sent fairly quick. The dimensions are as listed on the auction, 14.5"L X 7.5" W X 5.5" H.

I noticed that there are some minor surface striations, I assume due to the forming process. They are mainly on the sides of the tank. I wonder if this is why the original Whizzer tanks had those decals on the sides? Anyway, they may not even be noticeable if the tank were painted a lighter color, or a matte finish.

One issue I have that is not the tanks fault is the location of the fuel shutoff valve. On my Dyno Glide frame, the petcock interferes with the smaller tubing cantilever part of the frame. I may have to devise a way to remotely locate the valve.

Otherwise, I am very happy with the purchase. Have not leak tested it yet, though. Also, the overall finish is not up to my level, so I am planning on sanding all the edges and refinishing.

For the money, I would advise buying.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Ive got one last winter. I love it. It has a 1/2 Liter reserve like a motorcycle. And the Petcock is on the left side . It tanks take a 1.5" gas cap. I put a locking gas cap on it . It's the size & fit as my 1971 C-10 Chevy truck. How ever the front needed spot puddy because the English wheel work was horrendous with beer can ripples. But I didn't care because it got sand primed &pained metallic blue with 4 coats of gas resistant clear !!!!!

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Ive got one last winter. I love it. It has a 1/2 Liter reserve like a motorcycle. And the Petcock is on the left side . It tanks take a 1.5" gas cap. I put a locking gas cap on it . It's the size & fit as my 1971 C-10 Chevy truck. How ever the front needed spot puddy because the English wheel work was horrendous with beer can ripples. But I didn't care because it got sand primed &pained metallic blue with 4 coats of gas resistant clear !!!!!
That's good info on the gas cap size, thanks! Yeah, I can definitely see myself adding a little filler to the sides of the tank to smooth things out. I'm thinking about ordering a set of those $18 ebay Whizzer decals, paint the tank silver (I think I saw Quenton on the other site cited the specific color for the Whizzer tank), and make a faux vintage Whizzer tank.