50's Murray racer build

GoldenMotor.com

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
It's been a while since I've posted here, but for several months I've been collecting parts for a racer-style build. My Nel Lusso is still running great and I love tooling around my neighborhood with it, but after surfing around this site and Rat Rod Bikes.com I've been wanting to build something more complicated with higher performance.

My wife decided she wanted a bike after riding mine, so I we picked up two frames at a swap meet - one for hers and one for my racer. Hers is built and in the tweaking stage, but mine didn't turn out so well.

Out of the blue, I found an old Murray frame for cheap on craigslist and had another wonderful starting point... I'm not shooting for any particular style, just something that suits me and what I want the bike to do. The only really creative thing I plan on doing is a custom fiberglass tank based on what I've learned from camlifter's DVD.

The build starts in earnest this week, stay tuned for updates and the inevitable questions...

So far, here's the list of ingredients for this build:
50's Murray frame
Troxel spring seat
80cc Grubee GT5 w/ CNS
Manic Mechanic billet intake
SBP HD shift kit
SBP pipe
Avid BB5 disc brakes, 160mm front & 180mm rear
CST Cyclops tires
Venice Motorbikes / Sportscar Pat Heavy-Duty Monark repop fork w/ disc adapter
ebay-special stem and flipped moustache handlebars.

I built the wheels myself from Sun Mammoth aluminum rims, 12ga spokes, a Shimano front hub and SRAM i-Motion 3-speed rear hub.