"Jenny Irene" So-far

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah I named her already...I started off with a electric blue delmar.sanded and painted her ceramic engine enamel flat black,changed out to good bearings. Im waiting for My wheels to come in the mail I ordered some disc/cassette wheels with off road tires (snow tires..going to rider in the winter) I messed around with the derailleur and stick shift this AM. I sent the Monarch forks from Venice MotorBikes to Sportscarpat yesterday for BEEFING, Got a billet rear disc brake adapter and disc brakes from Choppers Us, SBP expansion chamber and billet intake from Pirate, Gas tank from Silverbear, just waiting for sbp shift kits to be back in stock, and waiting until the last minute on the motor to see what happens with Pirates balanced Motor.The photo of the front fender is with the mounts and braces I made using 1/8 x 3/4 steel from Home depot. Just wanted to share My project so far.

This is what I started with

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Cheers
Chainmaker

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks Venice...Going to be...I only get a couple hours a week to work on it. LONG workdays with a 3 hr commute round trip on top doesnt leave much time.
Beej...Check with Venice, he sells them with different options http://www.venicemotorbikes.com/ from just plain to beefy with disc adapter and disc brakes.

Cheers
Chainmaker

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Just curious...is that frame aluminum or steel?

If it's aluminum.....be *real* careful spreading the chainstays- go a tiny bit at a time or else you stand a very good chance of cracking the frame.

If it's steel......knock yourself out but still do it a millimeter at a time- steel frames can crack-I know this from experience:)

-George

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I guess I didnt post this the other night. I used the scissors jack and widened it the 25 mm
Before
[/IMG]

After You can see by the marks on the ruler the distance.
[/IMG]

The wheels came today. I put the cassette on, and realized that the wheels have skewers..therefore nowhere to mount the derailleur (it is a axle mount) I decided to put the skewer through the hole behind the axle mount hole through the hole used as a second attachment point to keep derailleur from moving ( I think) My guess was that this would put the derailleur off center and somehow not work at least not give me access to all gears. With the wheel mounted chain installed (for test fitting) I flipped it over and tried peddling through the gears. It wont hit the first or seventh gears. I am putting this up to derailleur being off center or the need to still adjust the derailleur. I am now trying to figure out how to add a second attachment point for the derailleur. to keep it from moving forward and back. I am thinking of giving it a shot with the welder at the dropouts. any suggestions here??
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The rear disc brakes are due to arrive tomorrow.I can already see a problem with the skewer situation. At the least I will have to enlarge the disc brake adapter hole for the skewer to fit through

Cheers
Chainmaker

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I managed in a couple hours today to install the rear disc adapter and brake. I did have to enlarge the mount hole for the adapter with a taper bit ...worked well. I installed the brakes and there isnt enough spring back on the caliper arm to pull the brakes back open resulting in the ferrules popping out of the retainers. I could use some help here is this adjustable ??? Here are some more photos..

Cheers
Chainmaker

Adapter Mount
[/IMG]

Mounted brakes

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Your cable looks too tight too the front of the bike ,needs a bigger loop to come in frof the back straighter

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks !!! Just using the cable and casing that came with the kit (6 ft) I think I will skip out from work tomorrow and if they don't try to rape My wallet, Ill get longer set at a Bike Shop around the corner from work !
Cheers
Chainmaker

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Might try getting some cable slack and see if it works ,,,Question ,does the arm return when you move it by hand and not with the cable?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Another question,,,Does that alum. arm the caliper mounts on need to be in that down ward position?,,I think if the arm was angled up a ways it would give the cable a more direct pull angle.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The arm does move by hand you can feel the friction of the cable against the inner cable housing. I think the longer cable with a wider bend will do the trick. with the adapter, for My dropouts that's the only position the adapter will mount.
Thanks
Chainmaker

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Ok,,I'm a slow reader,and typer,but in the search bar above the Bike Berry add at the top is where I find things and they had a thread on the alumin bar being re-positioned by removing the guide cast into it (fileing it)and you may be interested,I don't remember if they added a "short stud or screw) to hold the new position or not(the stud thing sounds like a good Idea to me) You might tryu to find it

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
If the longer cable doesn't do it I think that will be the route I will have to go, I had to drill out a bit of the key way already for the hollow axle for the skewers to fit through..it is made for 3/8 I think. I am hoping the cable will be the thing.

Cheers
Chainmaker

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I've never seen a disc brake mounted in that position......is it possible to mount it so that the calipers are between the seat and chain stays? That would give you a better angle on your cable run.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am going to hold off on the new cable. I will go home tonite take the brake lever off the bike, mount it on a spare handlebar, and run the cable with a slight curve..if it works I think I will just go with some 135 degree noodles.

Cheers
Chainmaker

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Just loosen the axle and rotate the arm and see if it improves the cable action ,,then make decisions from there

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Jammed at work no time to really work on Her but I did find the end of the inner cable housing was bent in causing the cable to stick a bit...that with easing up on the curve solved the problem.
Cheers
Chainmker