200w petrol motor

GoldenMotor.com

Dr. Dognuts

Apr 10, 2011
Down Under, adl
gday guys

im really concerned ive just worked my bike and its loud wasnt the law 48cc has it been changed??
the 48cc law is for mopeds and scooters, ie you can ride them with you car license, but they need to registered, and have all the lights and things on them.

Motor assisted bicycles need to be under 200watts to be legal.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Maybe my own confusion is getting in the way of my understanding but I was wondering: why don't they come out with a new law with regard to gasoline engines oriented around cubic centimeters and horsepower? Isn't trying to measure a gasoline engine against watts of electric power somewhat problematic???

Or am I just now voicing the frustration at the back of everybody else's mind again?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Grubee web site says the 48cc engines put out around 1.6 hp @ 5000 rpm. Just from making a guesstimate on the math - GAD! - you'd really have to knock the wind out of 'em to make 'em legal. They'd turn into little gray geldings.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Gday guys

I know you can by a certified 200w gasoline engine from rock solid engines and it clearly states no messing around with the set up and is certified 197W on a dyno at 3000 revs maybe they have limited it at the carbie. i wont be buying one of these as i am 90kg and that poor motor would die...........

i have a mechanic friend and i will ask if he can design something to limit these engines when the police pull you over.......like a choke that can be engaged then removed when your down the road??

may be a tough ask???

Last edited:

Mixotricha

Feb 5, 2013
Melbourne
I know this is an old thread and I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but these threads never seem to get to what happens after the cops pull you over assuming your motor actually complies ..

1. Have a ZBOX motor 48cc

2. Purchased restriction kit for it that comes with certificate saying motor is now limited to 200W.

3. Have this in a motorized bicycle frame with gears and pedals all working correct lights etc

4. Mostly ride it with the motor just helping me pedal anyway so wont mind if the power is limited. Turn it off around people etc.

I am going to be taking this bike on a long distance tour from Melbourne to Adelaide and I really want to avoid hassles from the cops along the way. I will be pulling a cart with lights on it and a big orange flag on the back and not speeding anywhere and obviously touring.

So how likely is it that the cops will hassle me for doing this and when they do and I show my compliance with the law what happens next? Once I am out of Melbourne am I less likely to get hassled or more likely to get hassled by the fuzz?

Has anyone had a bike that complies been given an infringement and then had to go to court and get a dyno test and so on?

I am assuming that even though my bike is legal and within the spirit of the law I will get pulled over and I want to know what to do afterwards!!!

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Mixotricha,

I have a friend who has a 200 watt Rocksolid motor and who has been pulled over by the police. He has copies of the paperwork stating the engine produces 200 watts.

When questioned he says look I don't want to argue about this here is a copy of my paperwork and my details, ring Rock Solid engines and get the information from them.

So far every time he has been stopped he has just ridden away, and continues to ride his bike everywhere.

If you are using the ZBox 200 watt conversion do the same have copies of your paperwork and details to give to the police.

Cheers,
DaveM

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
you will be ok.

you have a high chance of meeting a patrol on that sort of journey.
Just be normal. ask for the officers business card and keep it to show other patrols that you have been checked over.

enjoy your ride.

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
zbox also has a detuning DIY kit for $89. Haven't tried it, but possibly the cheapest way to ride legally if you already have a 50cc bike.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
One easy way is to limit the travel of the throttle cable, or as stated above an intake restrictor.

I have posted some legal stuff in this thread.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39266

When Im riding, I make sure I, "look like", the engine is assisting me. Not I, assisting the engine. Hence the legal name of our motorised bikes are "power-assisted pedal cycles". Australian design rules definition.

Mixotricha

Feb 5, 2013
Melbourne
I have heard you can build a simple circuit to put across the kill switch to cut them out over a certain rpm?

This would be really nice as this is something you could easily switch in and out. I am pretty good with electronics so I would have no trouble building something like that. I can probably figure out some mechanism of my own.

Maybe something like a hall effect on the HT lead that just counts clicks.

Also I had another neat idea. What about a clear manifold or one with a clear window in it so the cops could see the restriction inside it?

I could actually have a go at 3D printing something like that really easily.

Even a cop can understand a tiny hole means less power right?

Which brings me to my next question. Let us assume that even though I have compliance with the law and paper work and that I am not trying to fiddle or screw over the intent of the law I need to suppose that it doesn't matter and they don't care?

This is kind of what I am expecting based on what I have been reading everywhere else about how it no longer matters if you have paper work or not and about how the cops have a pull everyone on a powered bike policy just to be c****.

They issue an infringement and then you cannot keep riding right? 500km from anywhere that does not sound like a nice option with a +60kg cart on the back ... having to take the kit off .. and just pedal .. etc etc ...

Even worse they just take the whole lot and leave you to walk the rest of the way.

Maybe I will just re-think my adventure and not have one. That is the intent of most Australian law and the cops anyway. No wonder nobody has any respect for themselves the law or anything else ...

Mixotricha

Feb 5, 2013
Melbourne
The 89.00$ restriction kit from ZBOX turned up today. Not much in it. Exhaust with a restricted hole in it. Green air cap with 3 holes blocked off. Restriction gasket for inlet and outlet. Smaller fuel jet.

The certificate that came with it says ,

"The components supplied in this kit are the same as used on the Z48 motors to produce the performance stated below, however to ensure your motor conforms it requires testing on an approved government dynometer"

So my advice is to buy the motor that they sell that comes with the dyno certificate because no pig is going to care about this certificate or the kit and it just means your going to be going more slowly to court .... :/

I will report back shortly as to if the motor is still useable with it fitted. I highly doubt it. Which is the point I suppose.

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
A cheap 50cc kit from eBay: $140AUD+shipping
DIY kit: $89+shipping
Total: $229

Predetuned 50cc kit from ZBox: $375+shipping
Predetuned 50cc kit from RSE: $425+shipping

I think there's a good reason why I'll be getting the DIY kit.

However I'd be very interested in how well the engine runs after detuning. Does it have all the low end torque as advertised? :)

Last edited:

Mixotricha

Feb 5, 2013
Melbourne
Do you get a dyno certificate with that? That is the thing that is needed it seems. Anyone had any experience with this? Average cost?

Looking at the size of the jet and the amount of restriction involved I can't believe the engine will be at all useful after fitting it ...

Last edited:

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
I think only the 200watt kit (not the DIY kit) comes with a dyno certificate. I think most police will be fine with it, once they hear you rev it up, and they see it only revs very low.

Also keep all receipts and stuff with you so they see you bought them, and show the modifications you made using the kit.

The only place I've found that sells them is Zbox, and they sell the kit for $89+shipping.

Mixotricha

Feb 5, 2013
Melbourne
Yeah the zbox 89.00 kit is the one I bought.

That is the one I have posted in that picture.

But it doesn't come with any dyno output and I wouldn't expect it to.

Just a somewhat dubious colour printed bit of paper that pretty much says ,

'This certificate is worthless without a dyno test' ... :)

Mixotricha

Feb 5, 2013
Melbourne
Certificate says ,

"The components supplied in this kit are the same as used on the Z48 motors to produce the performance stated below, however to ensure your motor conforms it requires testing on an approved government dynometer"

Which I mean is fair enough. Zbox cannot control what people might do to the kit before they fit it. But it doesn't make it very useful in my eyes. If I was a cop and I saw this little bit of paper I would laugh and throw the book.