new motor problems

GoldenMotor.com

razorman305

May 1, 2009
ky
i got a new kit that has a japanese or chinese maker, the carb. says NTTC. the carb when we take the breather off spits alot of gas when. im not sure but i dont think it should spit any. my rpm's are also not even almost what they should be and the exhaust also glows red and emits a burning smell. any advice would be much appreciated. :-||

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the air filter keeps the gas fumes mix from coming out,for the rpms you have to adjust the idle,the burning smell is the left over exhaust of burning oil/gas,but i dont know about the glowing exhaust,mine gets hot but i have a black one so it dont glow.
i think we need more info on your motor and maybe someone can help you.

razorman305

May 1, 2009
ky
the exhaust was glowing red after a couple minutes of running it at full rpms.... with the tire off of the ground. but as for the carb..... it is running too rich. the gas spits out the side id the breather is off and the bike will not reach full rpms. i couldnt find hi / low fuel mixture screws so im thinking i will tear it apart tomorrow and lean out the fuel mixture a bit.

80 cc motor.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
dont run it full rpms with the tire off the ground,there is no hi/low air fuel mixture screw theres just a idle set screw,leave the breather on,throw out your gas and mix a proper oil/gas ratio of around 20:1.

razorman305

May 1, 2009
ky
thank you, that should hopefully solve my problem. one more thing, how do i make sure to get all my rpm's available?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
make sure everything is sealed good,use gasket maker on intake where the carb goes on and tape around where the throttle screws on top of the carb.
for the best rpms and longer life: if its new keep the speed down for a couple of tanks and make sure you have the right oil/gas mix,and if you had it for awhile change the sparkplug,but only do it when the engine is cold,and every so often take your airfilter off and wash and dry it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If you guys are talking about this motor 16 to one for break in then 20to24to one after. The last motor I put on a bike did not breaking completely for about 600 miles. They don't get full power till broke in . The carbs are notorious for needing the float adjusted. Thats another story. check the classic bike post . http://motorbicycling.com/f30/motorized-bicycle-engine-oil-2-cycle-305.html. http://motorbicycling.com/f30/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html. These are very informative. Yes these carbs will spit back a little fuel these two strocks have no valves

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
ok, so what oil ratio would you advise for a new bike?
There are huge discussions on this one that is why I linked you to the classic posts. Go with 16 to one for break in for sure until about 3 or 4 tanks then go 20 to one. The biggest thing is to monitor the color of your plug Rich chocolate brown is said to be perfect. I use HIR 100% Synthetic Ester oil . Thats just me . There are lots of oils out there some of them are a thicker viscosity. You can almost tell a good oil sloshing it in the bottle some have a thicker slapping sound in the container. That said monitor you plug condition use a good synthetic youl be ok . Don not use marine two stroke oil its a different heat range than our CH . hop this helps feel free to ask around!