Crazy Question Regarding Children

GoldenMotor.com

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
My son wants to ride on the back of my motorized bike in a kids bike seat. I think the bike is too loud and his ears are too small for standard ear plugs. Ear muffs for kids are great but he needs a helmet too. We don't ride regular bikes without helmets anyhow so definitely not a motorized bike. They make helmets with ear protection but what I have seen so far they are too expensive.

Thoughts???

.crt.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
How's your brakes?
Mine are pretty lousy. I would have to have better brakes before I'd take the kids on it.

Then there's the traffic...

Those are my thoughts. I'm old and cautious now. Years ago, I'd not worry as much.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I cringe anytime I see children in a seat on a pedal bike. I'd wait until your first accident before you put a kid on your bike. It might be 500, 1000 miles before you crash, could be something as simple as grabbing a handful of front brake on dirt (my buddy destroyed his shoulder going 30... I saw the whole thing... Didn't look too bad till we saw the X-rays) or something s bit faster like a lowside on a small patch of wet asphalt going 35 (wrist) my first "slip" was braking at 10mph front brake only on dirt. Not even that much braking. Just a tiny bit and the front slid right out and got all sorts of bloody scratches on my unprotected flip flopped feet. Been riding with shoes and pants since.

As a "total newb" I would not be worried about the noise so much as the integrity of the bike. Wheel bearings, rear rag joint sprocket, fenders, tires can all stop you in an instant if not done right. Wear at least a 3/4 for up to 35mph and a full face above that.

BTW if you still wanna, instead build a sidecar attachment for your kid. You can really build it up with a six inch crumple zone on all sides, and a sort of safety cell for your kid with a small roll cage. Cars will take you more seriously too.

Last edited:

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I like the idea of having good brakes first. The exhaust is aimed down so not towards the child in the seat on the back of the bike, not using a wagon like the image.

I have ridden many miles with a child in my child seat on my non-motorized bike.

I have not had a bike accident since I was a child, oh wait, there was that bike that had the front disc brake. So I had my dog pulling me down the road quite fast and then I hit the front disc brake and launched me off the bike. I landed on my hands. It hurt but I was ok.

So no accidents on the bike with my child, ever. Really hearing protection was my concern but it seems there are other concerns with these bikes. I appreciate all your comments.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Taking into account that you've read the above advice etc. You can get soft silicone earplugs which you can squash down to child size. I think I've even seen them at my local Safeway. So you can likely find them at any pharmacy.

Please ride slow and sane on sidestreets only. My words of caution for the day.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
The squishy foam is not able to compress small enough for a child's ears. I will try the soft silicone next time I'm at the store I'll look for them. Thanks, and seriously I don't take my child's life or safety lightly. I don't take my own life or safety lightly either. I'm a safe driver, cautious and slow.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I found the soft silicone earplugs, breaks are great, side car is nice but out of price range, I avoid traffic like the plague...and we are having a great time together. Trips to the park, rides in the evening before bed, lots of fun. I do a quick safety check before rides. I think this is ok.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
You can get muffler attachments like what is used on a lawn mower and retrofit it to the bike. Also I had a sbp expansion chamber and that sucker was so quiet. Could also try and figure out how to put some packing material for mufflers in the stock pipe if that is what you are running