Update on my first build.

GoldenMotor.com

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
okay so i got everything mounted. Sorry i cant show pictures. Having issues with size. Any how, i ran into the problem of having to long of a chain, expected that to happen.So being as i dont have a breaker for these type of chains, im taking it to a motorcycle repair shop to take a few links out. But i have a lot to learn. Off the bat the screw that keeps the flower nut from moving in the clutch came stripped. Due to my failure to comply i stripped most the other not to badly tho. PLan on getting hardware replacement kit from sickbikeparts.com putting the engine actually on the bike was the easiest part, and its snug. got the clutch lever on and strung up but the sprocket is super hard to turn, with the lever pulled in. Not sure if its supposed to be that way. I noticed the NT carb that came with it sounds like a baby rattler.... But i strung the throttle as well and all that in place. hopefully with in the next few day ill have a chain ready so i can fire her up.... Any static you guys have would be nice. Be honest i struggled all day From 10am till 5pm 3 hours mostly spent on trying to break the chain by means of every tool i own
:ride:

Back to the drawing board tomorrow.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You can remove the link yourself. Get a small socket or a nut. Set the Chain on which ever one you are useing. With pin in the center take a punch or nail set and hit the pin out almost all the way. Leave it in the bottom plate. Remove desired links and and re assemble Chai with pin now facing up. Hit it in with a hammer..don't go crazy or you will bind the chain. Get it so it is flush with the bottom plate ...now use punch ..NJT this time just tap it enough to stick out of the plate like the others.

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
You can remove the link yourself. Get a small socket or a nut. Set the Chain on which ever one you are useing. With pin in the center take a punch or nail set and hit the pin out almost all the way. Leave it in the bottom plate. Remove desired links and and re assemble Chai with pin now facing up. Hit it in with a hammer..don't go crazy or you will bind the chain. Get it so it is flush with the bottom plate ...now use punch ..NJT this time just tap it enough to stick out of the plate like the others.
the rivets in the chain have crimps on both ends its a 415h chain.... i was told i need a grinder first but those chains are tougher than.... yeah.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Sorry Trey I was typing! You won..lol Madmax search this site everything you need is here! I know it can be frustrating at first. When I did my first 2 stroke kit 11 years ago there was nothing No parts and no help. Then the forums started popng up and people started posting. Now its all here ! Good luck you will soon be addicted like the rest of us.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
the rivets in the chain have crimps on both ends its a 415h chain.... i was told i need a grinder first but those chains are tougher than.... yeah.
Hit it harder..if not check out buying a breaker.. compared to cost of bike shop do it for you

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
Hit it harder..if not check out buying a breaker.. compared to cost of bike shop do it for you
i tried the method with the nut under the chain and a nail and hammer. not a single budge.. maybe not holding my mouth right? Eh i got a buddy at a honda shop said he would break it for free and a look see at the project. Cant beat that. And ebay does have some relatively cheap breakers vs 80 + at a motorcycle shop

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Moto- How do you like that 08 link?lol Finally learned to use the search bar. I've asked so many questions here, that had already been answered, it's ridiculous.

MadMaxed- It took me forever to get even the tools I've got now. I have noticed some really good tool kit deals around though- maybe you could ask on this site, bet you'd get a pretty good list of required/ usable tools.

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
Moto- How do you like that 08 link?lol Finally learned to use the search bar. I've asked so many questions here, that had already been answered, it's ridiculous.

MadMaxed- It took me forever to get even the tools I've got now. I have noticed some really good tool kit deals around though- maybe you could ask on this site, bet you'd get a pretty good list of required/ usable tools.
Thanks mate I know for sure i need a drimel and a taple grinder along with a descent bench vice. but all in good time. you guys are awesome. .flg.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
man that is really helpful thank you.... my problem is the lack of tools. Screw driver with interchaning heads socket wrench kit. a dead drill with no way to charge it, and an eyeglass repair kit. Just kidding bout the last one. But for sure i need more tools
I was gonna help but it looks like these guys took care of you already... but what I was gonna say was about your lack of tooling... do you have a Harbor Freight in your area? If so you can get some nice toolsnon the cheap, and the harbor freight tool quality has gone way up in the last 5 years or so... almost as good as the Huskey or Kobalt tools that home depot and lowes sell... but just a bit shy of craftsman quality... either way, their hand tools like wrenches, sockets,ratchets etc are actually really nice, stuff like screwdrivers are still Kinda cheap, but effective. They do have a dremel copycat that isn't too bad and will get the job done for ya... and they offer tons of different dremel tips on the cheap. The dremel is one of the most handy tools you can have for motorized bicycles.
But having a good set of allen wrenches, wrenches, sockets in both 1/4" and 3/8" drive and a few sets of pliers and screwdrivers will go a long way working on these.
Even if you can only buy a wrench set or socket set each week or so, the tools accumulate quickly and you'll be set up in no time. You can start buying the more specialized tools like drill press or bench grinders or air tools later on after you get most the basics.

Even if you don't have a harbor freight in your area you can get a lot of stuff off their website and they do have nice sales all the time.

Another good source for inexpensive tools is Northern tools, either locally or online, and they also sell engines and go kart & minibike parts.
Just check their websites for pricing and pay them a visit if you got one of their stores close by.
Pawn shops also have a lot of tools and you can usually haggle them down if you see something you want... just be sure you know the going prices before buying in pawn shops because sometimes they sell stuff for more than new. Best time to hit up pawn shops is early in the day since they tend to limit how many good deals they can make each day based on how sales go each day.
ebay has nice deals too but also check prices and shipping rates, there are more than a few that sell the items cheap but with way expensive shipping, and try to buy from sellers that are close to you for quickest delivery times.
But mainly just start slowly buying a few tools at a time, you'll have a really nice setup before you know it. Trying to buy a lot at one time works too but just get what you can and let your collection build up is the easiest on the wallet.
people in here including myself can give advice on what to get or what not to get as well as whether a deal is good or not as well.....