Gas spills...leaky cap

GoldenMotor.com

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
I used regular rattlecan Krylon with good results. Let it dry for 48 hours before you get fuel on it.
One of the hobbies I had to put aside when I got into these darn bikes was RC. I've painted a few planes with Rustolem with good results, and I think hot nitromethane has got to be worse on paint than gas.

The trick was to let the paint cure before exposing it to the fuel, in the case of ROem it was two weeks. After that it was fine.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've painted nitro powered models with "regular paint" from a spray can with good results....the same "technique"- let the paint dry!

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
The best paint is the touch up colors for cars at the parts shop. Next is the Krylon with the high heat clear, this works well over all the paint. You will not find Rustoleum good for anything but the yard chairs. Make a gasket for your cap using leather. Have fun Dave

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
The best paint is the touch up colors for cars at the parts shop. Next is the Krylon with the high heat clear, this works well over all the paint. You will not find Rustoleum good for anything but the yard chairs. Make a gasket for your cap using leather. Have fun Dave
I agree... And it is amazing how well that "yard chair" flies!:D

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Always spray the cans upside down until the paint stops coming out when you are done painting for more than 15 minutes.

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
Update:

Sprayed it, let it set two days, put it back together and rode it...

So far the engine, rattle-can-paint is holding up.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I used Krylon flat O.D. green and no sealer coat and the gas never did anything but make some very slight, mild staining around the cap. (which actually gave the "Military Bike" more character.)

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I have painted my tank about six times!!!!! I apply a two part color, silver base then a red (candy) topcoat. Followed by two coats of clear. I use the best quality rattle can I can find. Like with most things I try, I end up redoing it so many times by the time I'm done I have it mastered. My problem is with my gas cap and rough terrain. Gas leaks out of the cap. I've tried to use two rubber gaskets (no help). Anyways!! Is there a product or way that I can use to protect my paint from the gas leaking?
I usually use, engine paint. It has ceramic in it, is fuel resistant and heat resistant up to 500 degrees (silver can) or 1000 degress (gold can). If you prefer to not use any of the colors available, then be sure to a can of automotive clear coat. It will be fuel resistant too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Heres whats happening the seam at the tank where the cap goes leaks most of the time in my opinion. Paint it up paint it good use a can maby sand the blemishes out use another can. The idea? Engine paint dos not care if gas touches it. Now this means you have a sealer that = a tank that will not leak . The paint will not blemish from the gas its good paint, gas will not tarnish your purty shine. Paint your studs really well at the base as most of these tanks will leak here eventually. Mask your studs so the nuts can be threaded back on without cursing. Double gasket your cap tripple gasket your cap if it helps, but do drill a 1/8 hole maby very slightly smaller in the center of your gas cap. Your tank needs to breath so does your ch. Hope this helps!!!!!! A good high temp engine paint is to me like sealing the entire tank with epoxy()

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Theres always a pontential to make it leak just ly the bike sideways or worse yet wreck someware. Bottom line needs to breath. My heads not working its late trying to think of a slightly smaller hole than the 1/8 for the center of the gas cap. Hope someone gets my idea lol God Bless!:crash:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
One more thing somone here I can't remmember where on the forum used a inside pre tank for ya filled it yet sealer? There was a air craft tested brand? They said it was good stuff. I'am not in the air yet not worryed lol. Gots to learn me a spell checker:p

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Saw it happen with my own eyes......fuel flows substantially faster with no cap.
So what if we had a better sealed cap with a 1/8" vent tube like Quads(4wheelers) have. I was going over this with a friend of mine just last night.

MotorGator

Oct 24, 2008
Gainesville FL
Hi RedB.....

Something discovered on the St. Pete ride from the guy who was having clutch shaft problems (Jim's buddy). He figured out that an oil fill cap that fits the Chevy engine was a perfect match and that he did a double rubber gasket number on. No more leaks. He said it was an easy find at the local auto parts store. Inexpensive too.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hi RedB.....

Something discovered on the St. Pete ride from the guy who was having clutch shaft problems (Jim's buddy). He figured out that an oil fill cap that fits the Chevy engine was a perfect match and that he did a double rubber gasket number on. No more leaks. He said it was an easy find at the local auto parts store. Inexpensive too.
It will also work with a ford one...I think the old ford/chevy metal ones would be better.

I did a butcher job but I wanted to see if it would work. It seals just fine and with a hose for the breather I do not see why it would not work.

First pic is before, second is after the mod

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I have painted my tank about six times!!!!! I apply a two part color, silver base then a red (candy) topcoat. Followed by two coats of clear. I use the best quality rattle can I can find. Like with most things I try, I end up redoing it so many times by the time I'm done I have it mastered. My problem is with my gas cap and rough terrain. Gas leaks out of the cap. I've tried to use two rubber gaskets (no help). Anyways!! Is there a product or way that I can use to protect my paint from the gas leaking?
remote filler cap hidden downframe
cvlt1