Opti-2 Great stuff!

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Tried if yesterday after burning the last of my tank and I could really tell the difference. The bike seemed to warm up and reach operating performance much more quickly and ran more smoothly. No noticeable smoke. I’m using it at 50:1.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why 50:1 Toothy? At that ratio you aren't getting all the benefits of that oil.
There are quite a few of us using it successfully and we're doing the recommended mix.
Just curious.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
I don't know....just seems like my bike is running so well I don't want to mess things up by going the whole 100:1 route.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ever tried it? Or are you just going buy what you've heard or read?

Old school thought doesn't apply to this oil. I have several thousand miles on engines that have been broken in and run exclusively on Opti @ 100:1. That evidence doesn't support your theory.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That oil is way thicker than most oils. I had a bottle once and compared it to some 50 to 1 Ams Oil . I pored them through the same size orfice into like wise measured containers. Opti drained considerably slower.

I did not run my oti too long as I got tired of my mixing experiment and ran Ams ever since. used to run like 10% opti and like 30% Ams. for a target around 40 to 50 to one.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Since I sell Amsoil I use it and I like to run Dominator at 50:1 or Saber at 100:1 but I decided to give Opti2 a try after hearing good stuff from other members in here and I gotta admit that the bike does like the Opti2 at 100:1 just a bit better... But it's not uncommon for one engine to like one brand or type and another engine set up the same way to like a different brand or type. I also like the Klotz Benol (or however you spell it) because it also offers excellent protection at high mix ratios but it also tends to leave a residue, but you can also get de gummed castor oil and add to just about any mix for extra protection if ya plan on riding harder than usual, but even de gummed still leaves a little residue if you mix in too much

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That was my problem. I had two cases of Dominator. I don't sell it tho. Just came across a good deal.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i tried it at 100:1 and rejetted and went back to run lucas oil at 32:1............ the bike just runs cooler and the plug is perfect at that ratio and oil mix, i also feel a noticable amount of more power in the top end due to the leaner gas mix and since i have been running lucas oil , my jugs cylinder walls look amazing even after wide open raceing abuse and torcher !!! its my firm belief that the higher up in rpms you go the more oil and less gas you need but the main jet needs to be larger to compensate for the leaner fuel mix than it would need to be at 100:1.

if i had a bone stocker yeh i would run it at 100:1 all day with amsoil or opti 2 given it will never really exceed 5,500 rpm and the load on the motor and bearings and con rod and heat and friction generated at that rpm is far far far less than what i am turnning out now at 13:1 comp stuffed case full port and polish with 120 deg intake and an exhaust port 60% the width of the bore and a lot of blowdown time for higher dynamic comp... and when hitting 9,000 to 10,000 rpms on the regular for moderatly long drag runs there is no way on this green earth that, that ludacrisly small amount of oil is going to cut it and fully lube all the internals and cushion them from the force and heat of friction at those speeds.

its probably why no kart racer has ever ever run any kart motor ever at 100:1 LOL

the yahmaha 125's turn out 15,000 rpms and most will do a double take at you and stare with a blank face if you run richer than 32:1 most kart guys run at 20:1 or 25:1 and use damn near half caster oil .......

this stuff is not for race bikes or moto cross its spacificly designed for weed eaters and chainsaws with light loads and moderate rpm ranges

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have been running Ams Dominator at 42 to one with a dang big carby. For nearly 20 K miles now. On a suped up 12 K rpm Morini. That motor only begs me for more abuse. Runs better than day one

You are about to get some big Opti testimonials. I am still a bit with you one having a thick oil.

The thing everybody miss's right away is ''oil flash point'' what did the manufacture design their oil for? I ran rich oil and soiled plugs. Now I run hella rich fuel from a 21mm carby. The fuel it self has a built in cooling factor. Yeah I can foul a plug but it takes me nearly 3000 miles somtimes now.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
For break in ratios, you can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers... I'll usually make mine a little more oil rich for the first tank or about 30 minutes of run time then switch to my regular ratio... I'm not talking about going 16:1 tho because that's way too much oil, but with conventional oils, maybe like 20 or 25:1 then go to 32:1, or just start out with 32:1 standard 2 stroke oil (high quality non synthetic) then switch to the Opti2 after the first tank at 75:1 to 100:1 or Amsoil Dominator at 40:1 to 50:1, you can also use Amsoil Saber anywhere from 32:1 up to 100:1, but Saber does best at the higher mix ratios so I probably wouldn't go under 50:1 with it either.

Most will agree not to use synthetic during break in or at least the first tank full because synthetic is a lot slicker than conventional oils and may not allow the rings to seat all the way. Others will say use synthetic right from the get go and have successfully seated the rings on it, but I prefer non synthetic for the first 30 minutes of run time... You'll get all kinds of opinions on this part... The best thing I can say to do is NOT let it overheat whatever you do during break in and you'll most likely be ok.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I used to be of the mind that any engine should be broken in on dino oil before switching to synthetic, but for awhile now I just run what I a going to run right from the start.

I build up my own racing GX200 clone kart engines turning up near 7000 rpm and have found no advantage to breaking my engines in on dino oil. I run Amsoil 5w 20w synthetic right from the first start and my engines have more hours and more hard laps then most I race with. I run with an oil catch can on my kart and the catch can is always empty which tells me that I have good ring seal and very little blow by.

I also convert Ryobi weedeater engines into radio control aircraft engines and have used many purpose built Zenoah aircraft engines. I used to be a firm believer that nothing but Lawn Boy ashless 2 stroke oil mixed 32:1 should be run through my engines, and using a 100:1 mix was insane. However after watching others aircraft engine after engine running 100:1 Amsoil with great results....I switched to 100:1 and my engines couldn't have been happier. After a few tear downs just to see how the engine was affected....I was happy to find my engines really clean with little signs of wear or over heating running 100:1.

So..when it came to trying Opti-2 mixed 100:1 in my 66cc "HappyTime" ....I was not surprised to see it performs well. I started my newest build using Opti-2 100:1 the very first start. The engine is breaking in nicely and I expect the engine to do well and be quite happy running this mix.

I am still a fan of Castor for some applications and some of the dino oils are just fine , but with some of the great full synthetics and partial synthetics there really is no reason to have an engine covered in messy castor inside and out or to have to put up with a smoking 2 stroke engine when 100:1 Opti-2 will eliminate both those issues. These are my own experiences with using 100:1.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
What do you folks recommend for a break in ratio?
My opinion would be Opti-2 mixed 100:1 under a load running up hill both ways. Perhaps just a splash of Klotz Castor thrown in the first couple tanks if one is nervous starting right out 100:1, but not really needed in my opinion. Just make you feel better psychologically adding it to the mix.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Every gallon of 100:1 Opti-2 motorbike fuel I mix gets an ounce of Castor. The only reason is because I love the smell. It reminds me of my gocart days with my Dad way back in the 60s. :)

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Every gallon of 100:1 Opti-2 motorbike fuel I mix gets an ounce of Castor. The only reason is because I love the smell. It reminds me of my gocart days with my Dad way back in the 60s. :)

Tom
I mix my own airplane nitro fuel...so I always have AAA grade Castor, methanol and nitro around. Sometimes I will also throw a bit of castor in my 2-stroke gas just because I also love the smell of castor even though it works as a laxative if too much is ingested..

Funny story I read one time was about World War 1 pilots and all the castor they would injest while flying. Lets just say they were usually carrying a bit of extra payload in there pants from the castor ingestion.... according to the story anyhow.lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've read the same accounts about WW1 pilots. Sure glad they didn't use Castor in the 60s. Air Force coffee was bad enough. :)

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've heard the same thing about the castor oil burning rotary radials of WW1 and that the bathroom was a very popular place right after a flight...

I'm so glad our exhaust pipes direct that stuff behind us instead of right in our face like back then...

I definitely agree on adding a bit of castor oil into the mix for that extra protection, it don't take much to do the trick either. We grew up over here on that Klotz Beanol which is good stuff... and you definitely wanted to be up in front of the pack unless you need the plumbing cleared out really well...

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I read through the LONG thread about the Opti 2. Talked to the guy who got me into this madness and he was of the old school mind set with the oil. But figured what the hay, will use the Opti 2 in a brand new motor and run her till she dies. I was able to get the bike up and running before the snow flew last winter, and have been running her here this summer so far. I have 3 tanks through her and I am working on number 4 now.

My bike seems to run as good as my buddies, so really can't see a difference.