That hard tail kicking your ass at speed?

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Still working out the kinks.
Have a bit of cutting/grinding, etc. to do yet.
I am also replacing the springs with some softer ones. These are pointless to run two. They are rated 850lbs each. Made for one rider on each one on a full suspension bike.

I'll post up a few more pics as I move along with the project, as well as let everyone know how it turns out and rides.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yep, anything to soften the ride. I used the springs from an old Schwinn saddle and suspended the seat frame on my latest chopper. Sure made the ride more fun.
Hardtails are for masochist. Springs are for the rest of us.
Good work and a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! some of the little 12" bikes and go-ped scooters have small shocks,i think they are rated at 400 LBS............Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Mush as I hate to admit it, I'm about tired of the ride on my hardtail at speed.
Especially with the 36 tooth gear.
I have always hated suspension bikes because I grew up on the razor sharp handling of the hardtails, and suspension bikes feel loose and sloppy to me, unless they are high-end and far too expensive.
But lately, I've had to rethink my position on comfort due to my lower tolerance for pain and my insistence on riding so much. Getting my kidneys beat to a pulp is no longer worth it to me.
I'm seriously considering something similar on my Pig.
Your setup looks great if you can get softer springs. I think using a single spring would tend to bind and bend stuff unless you mount it centered.
You might consider grinding the outer surface of the springs to remove material and reduce the rate. As long as you keep it well cooled, the spring will retain it's temper and will still work normally. Grind a bit and check because it doesn't take much to affect the rate, and keep both sides close to the same to prevent binding.
Keep us posted whatever you do!
Be sure to keep it barely warm during grinding. If you can't hold it, it's too hot.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Any pictures of the rest of your setup, Bones?

Looks like a sissy seat or something? Can't tell.

I'm currently dealing with a completely rigid cruiser with just a cushy gel seat.

Needless to say mah arse gets picked up off the set whenever I can. Gotta love riding it like a dirtbike. :D

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Any pictures of the rest of your setup, Bones?

Looks like a sissy seat or something? Can't tell.

I'm currently dealing with a completely rigid cruiser with just a cushy gel seat.

Needless to say mah arse gets picked up off the set whenever I can. Gotta love riding it like a dirtbike. :D

Here ya go.

I am also building my own seat pan, cutting foam, and wrapping it myself. So far everything I've bought or found from my LBC's just hasn't been comfortable for long rides.