Textured Paint from a spray can?

GoldenMotor.com

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Anyone have any experience/comments on painting a bike frame with "hammer finish", "truck bedliner", "chalk board paint" "plasti-dip" or other textured finish? I've got a frame I want to finish like that but I dont want the stuff falling off in a week. I'm not really concerned with the "flat" or "matte" finishes as the hot-rod dudes have that covered, plenty of info on the web on that.

r.ly.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
please be more specific on which one your leaning twards they all have their ups an downs , hammer finish would be a cool look an will work , bedliner, well what more can you say it will work chalk board paint may not work ,same with plastidip ,in my experience plastidip will come off even a properly preped tool over time .
Gary

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
What I was really looking for is a "dont use BLAH because I did and it peeled off in a week"

Im looking for a finish that looks good "rough". I came up on a streched out cruiser frame (made from 2 frames welded together) with some kinda sloppy welds, i smmothed them out the best i could and if i could achive some sort of texture to the paint it would hide the slop and look pretty cool im thinking.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
OK cool , look for a product made by upol called raptor liner it has a nice tex but a bit rough an possibly too expensive as you can only get it in a kit thats a gallon an qt of hardener. what you may be looking for an may also better suit your needs is one called gravtex made by the same company it goes on some what smoother an is nearly as durable once its cured , an available in quarts only it also comes in 2 colors gray an black an is also paintable, its really good stuff we use it at work its a factory stone guard on porsche, audi bmw an mercedes . in our area most of the automotive paint supply stores carry it .
Gary
heres a couple links
http://www.tptools.com/p/2600,233_U-Pol-Raptor-Truck-Bed-Liner-Kit.html
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-pol-gravitex-hs-stone-chip-protector-p-15137.aspx
hope this helps ya .

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
38.00 for a can of roll on bedliner,with most any roller it works very well,two coats is lots for a bike.
its very durable and is very much like a non slip surface.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you want a hammered finish with a good choice of colors, Hammerite brand spray paint is pretty darned durable. Just be thorough with proper surface prep before spraying.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've had good results with Krylon stone finish paint. It looks like fake stone and comes in lots of colors. It sticks as good as regular paint on a properly prepped surface.