1948? Road master j motor

GoldenMotor.com

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
Found this guy and am wondering if the frame is pre or post war. The bike is in decent shape, has dents in the frame from an aftermarket kickstand that has since been removed. Also the drive belt contacts the frame and the wheel is out of alignment to try and correct the problem, I think the frame may be bent and am wondering if it is worth saving. Motor seems complete minus the air filter but I assume it hasn't been run in years. What do you guys think it's worth?

Attachments

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
Thanks guys, I really just want to know if the frame damage from the kickstand has permanently affected the structural integrity and devalued the bike. It appears to need a fair amount of tinkering prior to being rideable and I don't want to get in to far over my head price wise(motor rebuild , frame straightening, ect.) guy wants a pretty penny for it :(

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the alignment issues with the wheel and the belt might be caused by the frame being bent by the aftermarket kickstand? perhaps you could straighten out the frame and that would fix the problem? if the guy would let you take a good look at it or someone else who can get a better idea of what the problem is and how to fix it, it might be worth the money. maybe you could talk him down a bit after you know what its going to take to get her back to tip-top.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
pre war, definitely. skiptooth chain, springer fork, can't tell from the pics what's newer or not, but that "long spring saddle" is worth some cash.

the frame could be straightened, but without seeing pics of the damage, can't tell you how tough it would be to fix.

if he's asking a high price, search ebay for other old whizzers and compare.

definitely a cool bike, though...

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Don't think it to high price, it will always holed it's value. Roadmaster are great riders. If you got a shot, take it, workout something.

Ray

Attachments

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
Okay guys, I think I'm gonna take the plunge :) I think the only restoration will be functional, this thing has a great patina on all of the parts. I will start a resto thread and update the pics. From what I can tell the motor is 1948( I am guessing as it is j model) and I think the frame is late prewar or early post I think the serial number started with an 0, can't be too sure as it was under several layers of paint.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Well its most likely a J, its got the twist grip throttle and compression release. Im telling you , you have alot of fun ahead of you. I would look for a copy of Whizzer service Facts, you can get them from www.memorylaneclassics.com they dont do internet orders you have to call or mail them. That is a really nice bike.

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
Thanks chainmaker , I am really excited about it! Gonna spend some time this weekend tring to get everything tightened up and aligned correctly. I think it's gonna take quite a bit of elbow grease to get this back on the road but I am looking forward to the journey:)

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
After looking at hundreds of photos, I am starting to think that the frame is a Dayton as the lines don't match the roadmaster quite right. Also the pedal sprocket matches the Dayton perfectly. Did Dayton produce this style of forks? Any thoughts?

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Okay guys, I think I'm gonna take the plunge :) I think the only restoration will be functional, this thing has a great patina on all of the parts. I will start a resto thread and update the pics. From what I can tell the motor is 1948( I am guessing as it is j model) and I think the frame is late prewar or early post I think the serial number started with an 0, can't be too sure as it was under several layers of paint.
Thats what I'm talking about bass. Ya!! The whizzer Service Book is a must have forsure! lots of info about whizzer motor. There's lots of help here on the west coast, mid west and Quenton. your condenser looks like its off,if it is bad, go for the electronic ignition. way better! looking forward 2 seeing your progress. i'm not sure about any info of your frame. looks cool though. Welcome to the vintage side of Whizzer!!

Ray