How do you protect your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

mikevkid

Mar 21, 2012
California
I am new to motorbikes and I know that most don't really have an ignition that uses a key so my question is do you just use a U-lock or what???.cs.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: How do you protect your bike?

The OnGuard locks are the bomb.....I have several of them including the 6'long, 3/4" covered cable with un-pickable lock (might be the Doberman, can't remember). $35 for that bib one but worth every penny and comes with 5 or 6 keys and one is lit. Comes with a guarranty as well that can replace your bike if stolen.

dnut

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

My primary method if security is to never let my bike out of my sight. Most of the time I keep it locked up in the garage. But sometimes you have to be out of sight even if only for short moments. At those times I have a lock similar to this one that I carry on my rear rack. $6 at walmart.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1001&pid=1190
I remmeber a very similar lock when I was younger. I saw a few poeple show me how easy they could work the dials like picking a lock and open them. I dunno hope yours ia a improved version? http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-crack-combination-bike-lock-under-30-seconds-160666/

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I remmeber a very similar lock when I was younger. I saw a few poeple show me how easy they could work the dials like picking a lock and open them. I dunno hope yours ia a improved version? http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-crack-combination-bike-lock-under-30-seconds-160666/
I used to use that type of lock myself. When I was in Junior High School another student picked my lock, while I watched him, in under one minute just to prove that he could do it. All the other students in the bicycle corral got a real good laugh at my expense over it. I threw that lock away as soon as I got home that day.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I just found a pistol cable lock the police department had as give-aways a year or so ago...
Think I'm gonna carry it with me on the motorized bicycle to slow down dis-honest kids.
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Yeah, I know my lock is pretty crappy. It's mostly just for looks. Unfortunately any lock can be defeated pretty quickly. I hate thieves.
I was just giving ya a freindly heads up! I would rather have a lock that can not be as easly defeated! Helping a fellow motorbiker:)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I was just giving ya a freindly heads up! I would rather have a lock that can not be as easly defeated! Helping a fellow motorbiker:)
I understood, and I appreciate your advise too. I consider anyone that tries to help me keep my bike from being stolen a friend.

I hate that anyone would have to leave their bike out of their sight for hours, and have to rely on a lock. If they do, they better have a good one.

My lock is like a piece of cheese to a rat. I pity the rat that gets caught by this cat.

zpt

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Bell makes a cable lock reinforced with Kevlar that's for sale at Target, I bought one for when I park my bike in town or at school. I gotta find something solid to link the bike to at home, it's really cramping my style having the thing sitting in the middle of my kitchen! :p

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I've seen that video. I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen here in Dallas. With so many car alarms going off all the time, people just seem to ignore what's going on.

There's a guy on my street with a nice bicycle that has front and rear suspension. He leaves it outside in his driveway every night unlocked. I'm sure if it was me, it would be gone after the first night lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

How do you protect your bike?

1. Park it in my home shop when home.
2. It is a bike heavy enough that only a pretty strong guy could get into a truck alone.
3. I have a Keylock ignition system that disables the ignition so even if they get away it won't start without a completely new rewired CDI to the Magento.
4. I always leave the clutch engaged.
5. Mine is a Jackshafted 3-speed, and if I think I'll be long I leave it in 3rd which is virtually impossible to even pedal.
6. Ya, I use a cable lock when I deem it necessary like grocery shopping even when I wheel it into the stores entry and park, but overall my trips are usually short and it can be entertaining catching people trying to steal it ;-}

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL

I use a hidden on/off kill switch, Plus lately I've been using an O-lock for rims. I know the bike can still be picked up but for quick run in's, it's wonderful. It also has a cable lock that can be used for more securely locking to something. I really do like this thing. Supposedly they can be picked fairly easy, but if someone is determined to steal your bike, you probably can't stop them anyways. I'm mostly worried about someone trying and f'in up the back rim trying to ride it.

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

I use a hidden on/off kill switch, Plus lately I've been using an O-lock for rims.
Cool ;-}
I like those O-locks, how much, like $15 each?

A hidden kill switch is cool, anything to prevent it from starting if they try to ride it away.

To those that have asked to buy
one of my Keylock & Wire Upgrade systems...

I'm sorry, I am almost out of the bulk parts I got and getting a good enough price to re-order and continue to feature that in every standard build may come to end so I can't sell what I have left.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area

One very simple method I use (beside a lock) is my bike looks ratty and weird enough that thieves would not want it. I realize this might go down like a rat sandwich to a lot of guys but nobody loves ugly.