How do I use this Speeco chain breaker

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so I bought #41 chain from a lawn mower shop, but I cant fit it. I don't have the proper chain tools. I have a motorcycle chain breaker which works extremely well for the original chain, but it doesnt fit this one. I broke my bicycle chain tool with this chain. So I went to the place I got the chain and they ordered me one of these:

How do I use this??? The pin is way too small to to push the roller all the way out.

I have work in an hour so I cant go to the shop to ask them. so I figure I will post here in the meantime.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Those things work great.

First dremel off both pin heads on a side plate.

Then use the tool to push the pins through the side plate.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
This thing requires a dremel?? None of my other chain tools did. Whats the point of the tool if I have to use a dremel? I got this tool to be able to reuse the pin, so I don't have to use any master links. Besides I have a half link that I need to put in, and it requires a full pin. So is this tool useless?
Should have gotten one of these instead

#40/41 Deluxe Chain Tool (604041 or 604042), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

Those look like they can push pins out and back in without any dremel

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I have no idea about what you have used or on what.

I have one of those chain breakers that you have pictured and I have used it on many different sizes of chain. With a dremel first to grind the pin flush with the side plate. And always with a master link.

Anything else, I can't help you with.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I use a breaker like pictured for the initial break, then what's left of a cheapy white metal "breaker" to push the pin out. I've found if you can't get the claws to grip properly, you can squash the link with a vise-grip so it'll fit properly.