Pork & Beans Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Well here we go again...I liked the way the last one turned out; got a present from my kid on Christmas that was a can of Van Camp's Pork and Beans to make another tank. The last one cost me like 22.99 to make...well this one was cheaper...but won’t tell. BTW it holds 53 oz. a little less than half a gallon. The perks...built in gas gauge and the tank mounts behind the seat attached to the seat post...

The best thing is...it's easy for me to make and I enjoy the quick process...unlike the in frame tanks...

If you notice I like the RAW look of metal...it just rocks....and looks rat/vintage…my style

I will be making some new products for 2011 and hope my son will do a good job of marketing the items at a very reasonable price to help all the members of this site...

Keep an eye out for wolfcreativecustoms.com

culvercityclassic

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are you just sweating those joints Jeff? That looks great and very functional with the gas gauge. You and Silverbear.....the kings of tin and mighty bike builders! Keep em rolling.....and Happy New Year!

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Nice work! I would be in for one of those, send me a PM and let me know how much. I'm thinking I could cover it with some brown leather or just paint it the color of my bike.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Were do you get the filler and cap from? Is that mounting strap something you make or is it predrilled with the holes.
Helping the wife and found that a small condensed mike can has ribs just like your bean can. It might make a neet tail light housing. I also found at Wally world a Stainless toilet brush holder and a small drink cup to match. I will shorten the brush holder for a head light and the cup for tail light old vintage style........Curt

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Nice job on the tank! The creativity and skills shown on this forum are great. I'm working on an inframe tank for a Worksman now, and hope to have something to show for it soon. Dan

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Hello good evening. I'm doing like a tank, not tin of beans but pineapple into chunks. I note that the photos used soldering tin, right? which product you used to grab and solder?
It is a fantastic tank, but I think Wed plate is very thin, I'm seriously join in the fiber coating Virdi, who thinks the idea?

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hello good evening. I'm doing like a tank, not tin of beans but pineapple into chunks. I note that the photos used soldering tin, right? which product you used to grab and solder?
It is a fantastic tank, but I think Wed plate is very thin, I'm seriously join in the fiber coating Virdi, who thinks the idea?

Jose you'd be surprised at how strong a properly done solder joint is, no need to over engineer a tin can gas tank with fiberglass, epoxy or similar type products. 60/40 plumbing solder will hold everything together well and metal working (tinsmith's) solder works good too and is what I used. A jar of soldering flux and a small hand held torch of some kind is also required to build one of these tanks.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
got a present from my kid on Christmas that was a can of Van Camp's Pork and Beans to make another tank.
I hope you ate the beans! Van Camp's beans are mighty good on a slice of toasted whole wheat topped with a nice slab of black forest ham :D

Nice tank and I do like the sight gauge line idea, pretty simple and effective. I've thought about trying to convert one of those in cap gauges you see on lawnmowers and stuff for use in one of my tin can tanks...have not found a suitable donor cap yet tho.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jose you'd be surprised at how strong a properly done solder joint is, no need to over engineer a tin can gas tank with fiberglass, epoxy or similar type products. 60/40 plumbing solder will hold everything together well and metal working (tinsmith's) solder works good too and is what I used. A jar of soldering flux and a small hand held torch of some kind is also required to build one of these tanks.
Very cool Culver & Rock, thank you. I had not considered solder.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
A little update...added some more details to beef-up the tank.

Like Rock said the solder holds up well and is very easy to work with.

Now I need to find a bike to put this on...but first need to unload a couple of the five I now have.

Happy New Year

culvercityclassic

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
A little tip on soldering. If you use an acid base flux, which most are, when you finish you might want to take some baking soda, a spoonful, and mix it in a 1/4 cup water and brush or wipe the areas just soldered with it. It will neutralize the residual flux. Many times just rinsing it off won't get it all and soon after you will see those areas start to rust. If you are going for the shiny tin look I recommend this. If you make a real thin paste with the baking soda and dab it on you might actually see it bubbling. That means there is still flux there. Hope that helps. Dan