A new shift concept for the engineers....

GoldenMotor.com

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
Jim by when will be seen a test run or even a video. :D

to showoff the new shift kit or fail. haha

no really, i wanna know so i can look forward into getting it realize.

P.S people need to start getting on the bandwagon! Cause we are taking oFF!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim by when will be seen a test run or even a video. :D

to showoff the new shift kit or fail. haha

no really, i wanna know so i can look forward into getting it realize.

P.S people need to start getting on the bandwagon! Cause we are talking oFF!
I have no idea when it will be finished.

I only have one of each machine in the shop, and they are usually tied up with production. It's hard to find the time to make prototypes.

This is something I'm working on just for fun. The set-up will be too expensive to market as a viable product.

I will make a vid when it's finished.

Jim

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
Camlifter,

As always, I look forward to seeing your set-up.

It is fun messin' with these bikes...:D

The design possibilities are endless...

Jim
i'm positive i can make the nuvinci work backwards with a left side drive, and it should work great for the ht and hs kit motors, maybe even the 5 hp morini, but the s6s morini will probably be to much for any nuvinci. all the ideas in this thread are great, keep them coming, but what we really need as a gear box that can mount to the seat post, THUD has one in the works, he post mostly in the electric section. he has a 2 speed box, he had it on one of is hopped up electrics at the ohio race, he's still developing it, but what he is doing is the direction we need to go for a true trans that can handle more that 5 hp. maybe he will see this and chime in.

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
i'm positive i can make the nuvinci work backwards with a left side drive, and it should work great for the ht and hs kit motors, maybe even the 5 hp morini, but the s6s morini will probably be to much for any nuvinci. all the ideas in this thread are great, keep them coming, but what we really need as a gear box that can mount to the seat post, THUD has one in the works, he post mostly in the electric section. he has a 2 speed box, he had it on one of is hopped up electrics at the ohio race, he's still developing it, but what he is doing is the direction we need to go for a true trans that can handle more that 5 hp. maybe he will see this and chime in.
link to his post :D

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah that much info in one spot might go in a sticky! Or perhaps if we start a hub section on the forum? I looked for a good long time to find that all in one place:) Enjoy!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
**************Brainstorm!

It would be much easier to design a 2 speed internal gear hub (like a mirror of the conventional sturmey archer type), that took a standard BMX RH freewheel on the RH side.

In fact its possible that some existing planetary hubs can be reversed or modified, and threaded to take a standard freewheel . I saw a article called The Dancing Chain about a wierd bike that had 2 chains and used a modified IGH like that.

This would eliminate the VERY dangerous proposal of a left-handed rear mech and the large freewheel necessary. (The larger a freewheel cog), the "more" it wobbles!

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I've thought about just using a 20" rear wheel with a track hub and 20 tooth or 18 tooth track cog on the left side. That ought to give plenty of range with the stock engine's RPM band.

I think BIOpace rings would be good for serious diesel leg mashers and maybe loaded touring bicycles. I tried it on a road bike and it was fun for a while till I learned to pedal circles. :) I think I wore out a derailleur spring before I gave them to a collector.

All these ideas are fun, but I'd just buy a 2speed stock moped or a Shift Kit for happytimes and get it over with.

They do very slightly prolly helps shifting better.

Remember the old Bio pace sprockets? They faded out rather quickly. Turned out the folks using the normal sprockets were winning all the races.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah don't wast your time with Bio pace sprockets they are a joke in every practical way.rotfl

Long live the J shaftrotflrotflrotfl Just my thoughts of them at the moment.:)

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
**************Brainstorm!

It would be much easier to design a 2 speed internal gear hub (like a mirror of the conventional sturmey archer type), that took a standard BMX RH freewheel on the RH side.

In fact its possible that some existing planetary hubs can be reversed or modified, and threaded to take a standard freewheel . I saw a article called The Dancing Chain about a wierd bike that had 2 chains and used a modified IGH like that.

This would eliminate the VERY dangerous proposal of a left-handed rear mech and the large freewheel necessary. (The larger a freewheel cog), the "more" it wobbles!

Sturmey Archer S3X 3 speed drives backwards and forwards and can use a Cog, not threads( it can use threaded freewheels too) , on the left side.

YOu could not only get three speeds, but you get a bumpstart out of it too.

Also, if you remove the brake chucks or use a freewheel 3-speed, you can drive them backwards too.

Nexus tricycle transmission jack-shaft for the win!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Here is the hub you mentioned. I didn't even know this was commercially produced. I don't know how dangerous it is (to your motor or your knees if on the pedal side), to shift while moving at speed, but that seems to be the product you want!
http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com/2008/09/s3x-fixed-gear-3-speed.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SCUutbkkC...fgZ3U/s400/S3X+Prototype+Pic+1+2008-08-21.jpg

So, if the Sturmey model can be driven backwards, and you have the motor chain turning it, how do you rig the pedal side? Are you using the rubber rag joint cog on the right side? A 50 or 54 tooth road chain ring with the 36t rear rag-joint cog should do just fine, if you use a front freewheel, and a rear derailleur for a tensioner. Still pretty scary because a derailed chain might still pedal you! Or chainsaw your leg! And tandem bike parts are expensive.

That is why I said if you can machine the hub to take a standard BMX freewheel, you could have it made, for purpose of this thread. I think it would be quite a high ratio though, on the motor side, in all 3 gears.

Last edited:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
So, if the Sturmey model can be driven backwards, and you have the motor chain turning it, how do you rig the pedal side? Are you using the rubber rag joint cog on the right side?

That is why I said if you can machine the hub to take a standard BMX freewheel, you could have it made, for purpose of this thread. I think it would be quite a high ratio though, on the motor side, in all 3 gears.
Who said any thing about peddles? heheh peddles are so out of style, and many states such as Washington, have remove the 'peddle' out of the moped(motorized + peddle ) clauses.

Trouble you guys get with the shifter in the back wheel is the step differences, where as in a jackshaft, you'll get far more reasonable steps.

I know the OP wants to stack sprockets and use a derailleur, but I'd forgo the engineering and use a light jack-shaft.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I skipped all that. I just use 1 high motor gear and enough motor to run it. :)

All this tinkering and brain-boggling is fun though. I heard Silly Putty was invented by accident, and so was the Microwave oven. Never know what you might do if you put your mind to it. ;=)

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Speed record for 49cc is 140mph+

Done with a 6 speed tranny.

My china motor is geared so I dont have to peddle at all, since I removed them. It gets me going from a stand still on an incline on the steepest hills in town in first, and in third it gets me up to 42mph.

This is not using any aftermarket goodies such as an expasnion pipe or high-V carb.

The motor is identical to a HF 52cc, and should pull mid fifties with the pipe and carb upgrades.

I'm going to get an sram 5 speed and go for 70mph+.

It is in the calcs...