Dumb Questions

GoldenMotor.com

ReallyOldGuy

Aug 19, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Hey: New to forum...new to motorized bikes. Have ordered my kit, expecting it Monday. Have an old Trek Mountain Bike that I plan to convert. Was wondering, except when pedaling what possible advantage is there to the gear changer? Would I be better off just buying a nice comfortable single speed cruiser?usflg

ReallyOldGuy

Aug 19, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Thanks Frank...the Mountain Bike it is....I suppose the gears would be availabe if the drive was linked directly to the original sprocket....but that seems way too much trouble, and possibly a bit dangerous.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I think he means not having to run the engine WOT at higher speeds....even though I've never heard my engine go "zing" while doing it. laff

ReallyOldGuy

Aug 19, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Kevlarr: Of course I took the bate. Spent several hours reading the installation manual for it..and the key, I guess is one needs some real professional bike mechanic knowledge. I have no problem understanding the concept, but unless that thing comes with a detailed idiot proof step by step...I don't think I can manage it. Would be fun to try though...:-||:-||brnot

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Make sure your trek has 36 spoke wheels. If they are 32 then your sprocket won't mount unless you get something custom or buy 36 spoke wheels for it. Most mountain bikes I have ever seen have 32 spokes per wheel.