Newbie from UK needs help choosing engine, please help.

GoldenMotor.com

user980

Jun 29, 2008
Hello everyone, my name is david and i am from england. I would like to purchase a bicycle engine kit and i weigh 13 stone. There are only two vendors here that i know of tigertooth and transformercycles.

i am torn between the tigertooth 80cc with free replacement parts foe one year:

TigerToothBikes.com

or the 58cc generation2a all black version from transformercycles:

Bicycle Engine Kit, Motorized Bicycle, Bicycle motors, Transformer Cycles, Grubee

the tigertooth one is £189 and the transformer one is £222.87 both including delivery

I want the black one because of the looks but i think the 80cc would be better suited to my needs because of my weight. Transformers highest engine size is only 69.7cc.

Please could someone advise me i would be very grateful to you, david from england.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi david,

I dont think your weight would be at all an issue with either of these kits - personally given the deals on the table I would go with the one offering free parts..

So far as power output - properly run in they would both be fairly similar and for about another £70 or so you could fit up a jackshaft kit and have a multispeed bike.

It also depends what you want to use the bike for as to what works for you. If you want something fit and forget the commercial engines are probably best such as GEBE/Staton and others such as the DAX Titan but those are all overseas producers.

Be aware that you will have to use a higher oil mix when running in and also to keep an eye on fittings and fastenings etc - they can wriggle themselves loose from vibration.

You will need - in case the police get nosy - good brakes and lights and a illuminated speedometer/odometer etc - in my case I just got a little LED pinlight from poundstretcher and secured in in the relevant place - not pretty but it works.

Also - I hate to say it - but the 80cc and 69cc engines are generally one and the same - so you arent really loosing any displacement (it may be due to a different method of measuring the cylinder volume) with either choice.

Where are you in the UK by the way?

Jemma xx

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome David to the forum, glad you joined us :D

The 80cc is really 67.5cc, thier is no true 80cc. You could alway's paint you motor black. I like Tigertooth 1 year warranty, I think he is the only one that offers that great of a warranty. Most offer 30 day's or some who don't offer any warranty.

Thank's for letting us know about Transformercycles.
:ride2:

I just need to clear something up...Tiger one year warranty is only for thier fully assembled bicycle's from what I understand..

TigerToothBikes Blog

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd go for the Tigertooth kit, if he says it's 67-69cc's he's being honest, anyone who sells an "80cc" is not exactly telling the truth.

Plus he's got the best warranty in the business!

Welcome to the site!

user980

Jun 29, 2008
Hello Jemma,fairacing and bikeguy joe, thanks ever so much for all your help. Sorry for the late replies, i have to use my work computer. Tigertooth is advertising his as 80cc transformer is advertising his as 69.7cc so i guess tiger is not telling the truth but the warranty is sounds good anyway. Cant wait to get paid this friday, will let you know what i order and when it arrives. thanks ever so much, david from england.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, I'm not sure why sellers take "license" and call them 80's. There are a couple of really good sellers on this side of the pond that call them 80cc engines too.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Welcome to the group david. I have been told in the past that the 80cc controversy stems from measuring the total volume including the head, I've never personally tried this so I'm not 100%. I would prpbably go with the Tiger for the waranty and he is a member here...Kelly:ride2:

How much is 13 stone? I've always kind of wondered about that method of weight measure.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Thanks to both of you. A stone just seems like a really obscure thing to choose for a unit of measure but who am I to say? It was just one of those couriousity things that has been in the back of my mind for the last thirty some odd years that I never thought to research...Kelly