Helpful place...

GoldenMotor.com

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
After working out at the gym with my girlfriend today, I talked her into taking me to Calumet Cycle bicycle shop in Calumet City, IL. I wanted to ask about buying a white saddle and a pair of electra fork struts for my build. Turns out that the guys there are awesome... they are gonna call electra for the parts on monday, and they even showed me a motorized felt twin that the shop owner had them put together (converted top tank and all)! I have a feeling I will be doing much business with them in the future! For now I will have to focus on stripping the paint from my cranbrook frame and pagsta tank... it was nice to talk to some guys in person who know what I'm doing and can offer advice! I thought the internet would be my only outlet! P.S. - Is it odd that I have already started my 1st build and today was the first time I saw a real motorized bike in person? Sorry, I just feel like a kid on christmas right now!!!dance1

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
That's great Jbones. Many bike shops don't want to hear about putting motors on these bikes. I went into a Trek store once and had the audacity burden the guy behind the counter to purchase two Bonstrager tires for my bike. The lady that came out later seemed more personable though. Another bike shop (run by a cool enough individual) was more of the hands-on type of shop. There's also a Schwinn store here in town that I go to. They've been real helpful and answered any questions that I've had. I bought some chain lube today, just so I could buy something from them for their help. I'll be going back there to buy more, I'm sure.

I'm just finishing my first build and that's a Cranbrook. I like it a lot!

If you've got a shop that welcomes MB's, you're truly blessed.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had never seen a bike like the ones here when I built my first one. Worse yet I had very little small engine experience. My auto experience was with parts changing nothing more. Thanks to Norman I managed to get through the build. It was a blast to build but the best is yet to come for you. It is the most fun I have had in years when I got to ride it around and see the looks on people's face.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
OH yeah, the looks!

Cruiser motorcycle guys, most of them think it's pretty cool but don't want their friends to see them admiring us.

Kids think these are the best things on the planet and a LOT of folks stop in their driveways and stare. It's great.

Had a guy pull up next to me yesterday and say, "Man, that's a neat ole restored bike!" I told him, "Yup, just got it from Wal Mart last month." dance1