what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Cool... Nice Stingray too... So how's it running with the new 4 stroke engine?

I'm still gathering up parts for mine... and healing up from my little spill last week... lol , my ribs are sore as **** but nothing is broken... just a few bruises on my belly, chest, and ego...

Today my seat came in as well as the powder coat colors I need for all my small parts... I still need to find time to get my argon bottle filled so I can add in a few gussets in the known weak areas, then it's off to a LOT of painting and airbrush work...

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Cool... Nice Stingray too... So how's it running with the new 4 stroke engine?

I'm still gathering up parts for mine... and healing up from my little spill last week... lol , my ribs are sore as **** but nothing is broken... just a few bruises on my belly, chest, and ego...

Today my seat came in as well as the powder coat colors I need for all my small parts... I still need to find time to get my argon bottle filled so I can add in a few gussets in the known weak areas, then it's off to a LOT of painting and airbrush work...
Thanks! She's running nice enough that I wish I had done this first. still needs lots of work, I need a bigger drive sprocket for sure, better motor mount too. you know, the usual.

hope you feel better soon, nothing stings like a bruised ego, that said chicks dig scars right?

can't wait to see your bike's progress.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Luckily nothings bad enough to leave a permanent mark but I did hit the ground pretty hard belly first... got a little road rash on my palms but its almost completely gone already and the road rash on my belly is just a few scabs now... the right side of my belly probably has about 10 or 12 small scabs but they're fading fast... but damn... when it happened it sent a shockwave all the way up my back and neck, my teeth were hurting and my sinuses felt like they were gonna explode but I never hit my head... just stood there for about 5 minutes trying to recover but mostly worried about the bike since its not mine... luckily its not even noticeable that it went down...and it stayed running for a few minutes until I was able to go pick it up. I was mostly concearned about the bike but the customer just laughed when I told him about it...

I was way too busy today to mess with the bike then my seat came in as well as the powder coat colors I needed... and I have to walk by the packages all day wishing it was slow enough at the shop to at least get the parts sand blasted and the base coat shot on a few pieces... but of course it was busy when my stuff comes in... hopefully tomorrow I can get a few things done before I open up so I can at least get a few progress pics posted...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Think I've finally got to a stopping point for the mods on my current bike. The new front rim and Continental CityRide tires sure make for a smoother ride! Still testing the limits of the 1.75 width versus the 2.35's that were original to the bike. Even though they're skinnier, they seem to have more 'grip' The reflective sidewalls will also help to make it safer.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Too busy today but I did get the customer's bike back to him and he was very happy with the repairs and upgrades.. I just did a basic port job to this one and it came out with tons of torque using the nt carb and a modified stock exhaust.. his brother rode the bike home but I'm sure he got to try it out shortly after...

After I closed up shop I did have enough time to sand blast some of the parts I powder coated in black so I can redo them in candy lime green.. if I can get to the shop at least 45 minutes before I open up I will get the base coat shot on and cured. I have to shoot on the "almost chrome" base then cure it before I can shoot on the color coat so I should have some pics to post tomorrow or Friday depending on how much free time I got...
I've also been looking into making a big enough powder coat oven to cure a full size frame and the parts are surprisingly inexpensive... it looks like I can build a good sized oven for around $200 so I'm going to start gathering parts for that project real soon since I would much rather powder coat the frame and fork legs instead of painting them...
Hopefully I can have a good week this week and I should be able to get all the parts together so I can build a big oven next weekend...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The 'transformation' continues......

Discovered that my brother-in-law had a 3/4" conduit bender --- score!! everything clears on exhaust version 8.1. Sounds even better.

Disregard the red pedals on the new color scheme. The green ones I got had larger thread size than the Huffy's. Oh well, I now know that pedals aren't the same!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The 'transformation' continues......

Discovered that my brother-in-law had a 3/4" conduit bender --- score!! everything clears on exhaust version 8.1. Sounds even better.

Disregard the red pedals on the new color scheme. The green ones I got had larger thread size than the Huffy's. Oh well, I now know that pedals aren't the same!
Looks great Mark..... just had to match that monster green roller huh..... I like it!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hadn't got a lot done in the last few days due to all the rain we've been getting and being so busy at the shop. I was able to score me an old referigerator for $20 that I'm going to make into my powder coat oven. This will be big enough to fit a bike frame into once it's gutted out... then I will need to buy the oven insulation and line the inside with some sheet steel. That's gonna be a job in it's self to do but I got all the metal here for it already, the insulation is kinda pricy but the temp controller and heat coils I can get for under 100 so it looks like I can have mine built for just around $200 once all the parts are bought so i'm going to hold off on painting the frame and forks until this thing is built... in the meantime I'll be powder coating all the smaller parts so I can have everything ready...

Nice color scheme Mark... That's kinda the way I'm planning to go with the Stingray and I'm powder coating all the small parts in candy lime green... I already had the regular lime green purchased then I saw the candy version of the color so I ended up buying the "almost krome" base coat and the lime green candy coat since I liked the way it looked a lot better than the stuff I already had.
anyway, your bike looks really nice... I like it

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Looks great Mark..... just had to match that monster green roller huh..... I like it!

Thanks -- only took 2 years to get it to this point! Orange you glad you didn't send me a pink roller?

On another note, I did use a competitor's spray paint. Used Valspar Tropical Foliage in satin. The sprayer on this can was amazing!! The paint came out in more of a low pressure 'fog' --- great coverage and nearly impossible to make a run. Please don't tell my employeer!

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
Discovered it pays to check that dinky tank when having starting problems. Then, when it's actually moving, I try to get used to my newly installed suspension fork.
The number of mods done since joining motorbicycling.com is amazing.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks -- only took 2 years to get it to this point! Orange you glad you didn't send me a pink roller?

On another note, I did use a competitor's spray paint. Used Valspar Tropical Foliage in satin. The sprayer on this can was amazing!! The paint came out in more of a low pressure 'fog' --- great coverage and nearly impossible to make a run. Please don't tell my employeer!
I dont own anything colored pink so you would never have had to worry about that.....lol

Valspar spray paint and especially there clear enamel is the best Ive seen or used from a rattle can.

Yes it is thicker, covers better and just leaves a much better finish in my experience.

I wont tell.......

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I dont own anything colored pink so you would never have had to worry about that.....lol

Valspar spray paint and especially there clear enamel is the best Ive seen or used from a rattle can.

Yes it is thicker, covers better and just leaves a much better finish in my experience.

I wont tell.......
I gotta agree about the valspar paint...they're also who makes the House of Kolor line of automotive paints and I use it exclusively when doing custom work and airbrushing since its very consistant, easy to spray and clean up, and I can get far better coverage with less paint. You can get house of kolor in rattlecans... if you can find it or know where to look, but the valspar paint is of the same type and quality... definitely good stuff.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Well I actually got the base coat on all the small parts powder coated today since things at the shop were slow... since all these parts will be candy lime green they need a nice metallic base coat and the green I ordered came with the Krome base coat... after doing a few parts to get the technique and the right amount of powder on the parts I started to notice this stuff can easily pass for chrome... I had to sand blast a few of the parts I did earlier and redo them after seeing just how chrome like this stuff is supposed to look... here are some of the parts coated and awaiting the top coat... pics in next post... damn kindle...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
*sigh* Well, today it isn't so much "What I did..." to my motorized bicycle, but what I NEED to do, when I finish my morning coffee.
I already planned on mounting the extra mirror and the turn signals, and revamping the brake light (mounting in a brighter bulb and wiring it for a larger battery size) and basically getting it ready to be registered and plated according to Indiana motor-vehicle law. But now I also have another job to do.
I got it out of the shed the other day, to go for a sort of shakedown run - just in the mobile home park, mind. As I mentioned, she's not legal for the street just yet. She started far less sluggishly than I thought she would and it was looking like I wouldn't need to do hardly anything. So I'm riding down our street, where two kids are standing on their lawns on opposite sides of the street playing some kind of game that involves throwing sticks back and forth. Already, some of you might see where this is going. I sure didn't at the time. I rode between them and, by the time I guessed what they were up to, I felt a jerk and heard a ping. But I kept going just fine. I was suspicious though.
I got back to my driveway and looked over my rear wheel and, doggone it, I've got a broken spoke and a big chip in the paint on the chainstay and the wheel seems out-of-true again. A couple months ago, in preparation for spring, I'd been working on the rear wheel, getting the chains tight, checking the spokes, checking the chain guide, checking wheel trueness, cleaning and tightening and fiddling as needed. Now I gotta take it back out again, put in a spare spoke, probably re-seat the drive sprocket adapter, true it again, all that stuff.
If I'd been just paying attention, I might have seen the kids tossing little sticks and could have paused and honked my horn. They were innocent, I'm sure, and have no intention of causing damage. They would have waited until I passed if I'd asked. And I must admit, I don't know for sure if the sticks did it. But I really didn't feel like working on the wheel today. Maybe I just need more coffee.