what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have completed four custom bike builds.... Kicked my butt thats for sure.

The raw one will get a motor swap from a 160cc to a big hp 212

Nice family picture....

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Made up some copper liners for the Staton clamp, made up some anti rotation tabs, made up the gas tank mount and mounted the brace.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I scavenged off of saved junker bikes some Dia-Compe hand brake parts. They look more sturdy than the ones I have and the little adjuster threads are not bent or made of plastic. I don't know if on production motorcycles the brake handle on the twist grip throttle side is the same length as the other sides hand brake. I mention this as the twist grip throttle takes up maybe an inch an a half distance the hand brake has to reach near the end of the grips. This makes me think its not allowing the riders right hand to grab brake as well. This being due to the lump of the twist grip throttle offsetting where the brake lever is positioned. I thought I had the Dia-Compe levers being longer and I would mix and match hand brake levers, but they were the same length as the cheaper made ones on my bike. It is just the Dia-Compe were more rugged. I will put them on at some point as it is an off road motor (call it bike), but there are no pedals as it is licensed only as OHV registered.

MT

Last edited:

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Won't do too much with it today but stand around it briefly with a beer and chat with some guests over for dinner. Have a good Chrissy all.
For those who care not for it , just have a good day.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yikes! Now we are on page # 666 of this thread and it's Christmas Eve.
No I am not superstitious, just making an observation.

As for what I did to my bike today, I moved it out of my way so I could get to Christmas presents hidden in the garage.

Merry Christmas!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Better post something quick and pass page 666!
Nice sound Very Hardy and cut off was good too no dieseling Good job! how's that head working for ya ?

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I like the head t, I think it pulls a lot of the deadly heat away from the lower end I've put almost 700 miles on her since this past October
the motor is a 2009

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Replaced a broken clutch lever. The button had popped out of the old one.
Got one this time that is the full length for an easier pull. I soldiered the button part that holds it together this time. Also removed the return spring. Very smooth now!
Then I added a drive side chain guard so my jeans won't get sucked into the gears! The one that comes with the kit broke during its first week of life when I first got the kit almost two years ago.
I built it out of a piece of angle metal that came with something I bought years ago. Most people would have thrown it out, but I knew I'd eventually find a use for it!
Then I changed the pedals for a set that I like better.
It was almost 60 degrees here this afternoon, so I for to enjoy a ride for a little while after work. Running good!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
. Most people would have thrown it out, but I knew I'd eventually find a use for it!
I'm the exact same way .."I may need that some day " I never toss out anything any It drives my wife bat **** crazy!! my garage and storage shed can attest to that I feel we all " motorized bicycle riders all have similar traits I notice it quite often we are a frugal group to say the least not to mention most of us are very MacGyveristic when it comes to building things heck I even turned an battery operated golf cart into a welder ! Here is a photo of a Dual brake lever I made a few years ago it works beautiful but It could use some paint

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"MacGyveristic" LOL Jumpa. That is good.

I also have box after crate after piles of odd, weird and have no clue what I am ever gonna do with, parts. And they always come in handy! Not necessarily pretty but am always happy to have em. (when ya need em. up until then, they are junk and in the way)

Ya know, ya just know the day after you throw out that spring from a broken dish washer, ya need that exact spring......

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL! now I gotta label them boxes.

"spare parts that I haven't needed yet"

One of the coolest things I have ever built was a throttle actuator. All from "junk" parts. Funny thing was I did it backwards. So it started with full throttle.

Removed the governor. Built a really cool and elaborate throttle with great/perfect back tension. It had a pulley wheel guide. It was perfect and looked cool. I finished every thing today and carried the point beach/honda/grubee up from the celler. So dang proud of my self. Then I grabbed the pull cord and had that old fimaliure thought and feeling. "What if it won't start" Imeaditaly followed by; "what if it does" Snork.

It roared to life on the first pull. Then just went full bore. Smoke came from the gear box and the rear tire spun madly. I quickly shut it down. I turned the idle screw down and fired her back up. Same thing.....

Go look up the carb in the manual. Nuton. Look all over the carb and feel with my hands looking for some mechinisum to slow it down. Nuton.

Carol is looking on with great pity and concern and offers to hold the bike while I try to start it again. As I bend to give her a yank (the bike, not Carol), it dawned on me. I fire her up and twist the throttle. She calms right down. My Beautiful and awesome throttle assembly is bassackwards.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I had a whole collection of that stuff when I was a teenager. It was all moped and motorcycle parts. When I moved out Dad tossed it all at the dump.
5 Complete Tomos and Motobecane mopeds with DMV papers, and 3 of them ran great, went to the dump. Many boxes of handlebars with controls, voltage regulators, carburetors, lighting, ect., you name it, mostly Honda and Suzuki... gone.
Now that I have my own garage I have started again only it's all random spare parts from clothes washers, microwaves, drill presses, cars, ??? with no clue what they may create in the future.
I still want to make a multi speed belt driven motorized bicycle using the drill press pulleys but I haven't put in any time to figure out a derailleur for the belt.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So cool GN! When I was in school, the instructor was showing us a Bridgeport mill. To change tool speed/gear ratio, you turn a dial. He had no idea why I got so excited about that but instead of changing the belt ratio by hand as you would on a drill press, ya dial it. Would work exactly like what your wanting to do.

Dangit, now your gonna beat me to it, eh? lol

Would be wide but perfect for our thing.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This is a true story, my wife used to complain about my " parts" . one day while I was working in the shop she came out to see what I was doing, the first "part" she saw was a old well pump that the motor housing had rusted through and look like crap. She then said why don't you throw that away its nothing but junk, then I came up with the "parts" thing. She got mad and left, only a couple of days later the startup capacitor went out on our pump at about 9:30 on a Saturday night. She was amazed when I use the "part" from that old rusted motor to get the water flowing again. She didn't say I was right but now she rarely complains about my shop.